Question about henlei

Zooaqua

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Brazil
Hello! I'm quite new to rays and am learning a lot from here!
I would like to know, just for curiosity, why there's not so many topics about henleis. I can see lots of talk about BD(leopoldi) , pearls and motoro, but not too much regarding to henlei. While doing some research at the web, looking for what's being bred around, I could find loads of precious information about leopoldi and a lot of breeding facilities with high quality cb leos, but almost nothing regarding to henlei.
So what could be the reason? Are they considered less attractive? More difficult to keep?
For me, they look almost the same as leos.

Thank's in advance for charing your opinions!

Regards;

Alexandre

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
Less attractive to breeders due to longer gestation periods and fewer pups.
Therefore less available to hobbyists.
Often brown rays are also less favoured by hobbyists.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I personally love Hens especially if they maintain the grey base. Seen some Hens with much better belly spotting than BDs

Zooaqua

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Brazil
Thank's for helping!
I didn't know hens were brown. By the pictures I've seen, they look as black as leos, from my point of view.
Well, as I said: still learning.

Thank's once more!

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Thank's for helping!
I didn't know hens were brown. By the pictures I've seen, they look as black as leos, from my point of view.
Well, as I said: still learning.

Thank's once more!
They are black... for the most part but not as black as leos, I had a nice King hen and really liked her, but when you saw her next to my leos she did not look black... they are very nice rays though

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
They arent in the brown ray complex, they are more in line with black rays. Seen some as black as Leos, some with a grey base. Tails arent paddle shaped like Leopoldi. Some have large spotting and some small. They also have spotting along the perimeter that carries all the way around and underneath.

See my Avatar or some of my videos, its a pure female Henlei. Pete Lockwwod had a trio of really nice black Henlei. Look up some of his older vids.

Like Jay said there also is King Henlei which has small spotting around the larger spots resembling a crown so to say.

Zooaqua

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Brazil
So, not that bad. Just not as sought after as leos, I guess!
By the way,ShadowStryder, your hen is astonishing!

Thank's for the charing, everybody!

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
So, not that bad. Just not as sought after as leos, I guess!
By the way,ShadowStryder, your hen is astonishing!

Thank's for the charing, everybody!
Thank You and definitely not bad. Very active and hardy. Something else to notice is the white spots have a gold ring around them then the black ring. Much better than most common Leos you see around and messy BDs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store