aquaculture blue tanks with viewing window

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Hey guys. Just wondering is anyone has tried out these tanks:
http://pentairaes.com/600-gal-96-x-48-x-30.html

I am considering picking up this or the 405gallon model, putting wood around the outside, and 3-d backgrounds on the inside. I am planning a huge project 2 years down the line, and was looking for something cost effective that I could grow out more fish in in the meantime. I would also like to have a tank ready to move my 10-12" florida gar into as they outgrow their 180, and await their monster tank.

Pics of set ups utilizing these would be greatly appreciated. I couldn't seem to find any by searching. I am concerned the viewing window might be too small. Alternative options would also be appreciated, but must be something that can be moved in two years. Thanks!

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
We have several members who own these tanks. I raised asian tarpons in my 420. The tanks were intended for commercial use so, the view windows were designed for checking the status of the animals inside and not for aesthetics. These are incredibly tough, yet light, hatchery tanks that'll last for decades. 2 people can move the 420 easier than a glass 180.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Need to also consider if it'll fit through openings(doorways, stair cases) of where you intend to place it

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I have two of the 720s at one of my homes. I love them. Ultra light and very sturdy.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Xander had a fiberglass tank. I don't think it was made by Aquatico though.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?501606-The-750-gal-has-arrived

I have a 405 gallon. It is very sturdy. We made a steel "stand" for it, but decided it was not necessary because the tank is so sturdy. We haven't set up our main tank, so our sump tank has just been collecting dust for over 4 years. The window is 54 1/2" x 19" on our 405 gallon.

I agree about checking door widths before purchasing one of these tanks. Unless you have French doors, or a sliding door, or are going to put the tank in a garage, the tanks won't fit through a standard sized door opening. We got ours in the equipment room before the walls were framed in.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Is it naive to think that I could potentially turn this into a showtank? The 36" width is troublesome. My doorframes are 36" +/- a millimeter. I plan on taking more precise measurements of doorframes and windows when I get going today. It seems I have come down with the flu, or thereabouts. Thanks for the info guys!

KAWAMIKIE

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
New Jersey
Anybody know how the viewing panel is sealed in these tanks?
From what I've read they are not very thick "5 mm", do they bow at all?

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
The glass is sealed with silicone inside and outside. I'd call tech support for the glass thickness. Mine appears to be at least 1/4" This is what the window looks like from inside the tank.

IMG_20150102_155233722.jpg

The 5mm is the thickness of the fiberglass.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the dimensions given are inside dimensions...add another 5" for outside dimensions, especially if you're considering getting the tank through a doorway.

IMG_20150102_155233722.jpg

KAWAMIKIE

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
New Jersey
Is it naive to think that I could potentially turn this into a showtank? The 36" width is troublesome. My doorframes are 36" +/- a millimeter. I plan on taking more precise measurements of doorframes and windows when I get going today. It seems I have come down with the flu, or thereabouts. Thanks for the info guys!
The 600 gallon tank measures 96" x 48" x 30". The dimensions are of the inside of the tank. Dimensions listed below are inside dims, L x W x H. For outside L and W, add 5". It will fit through a 36" door. You need to worry about if you can maneuver the box once inside.
You can dress up the outside of the tank to make it look nice.
The only question is the quality of the acrylic viewing panel. Is it crystal clear?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store