Hello MFK

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
First post, but long time fish keeper. Haven't kept fish in almost a decade, so my knowledge isn't as sharp as you fine folk.

I have space for a 48 by 18/20 inch tank, probably 20 inch high. Saw one with canopy and 30 inch tall stand.

What sort of filter would suit a solitary or maybe group of large predator (relative to tank size).

I think substrate would be single wood piece and palm size rocks and plants tucked in the wood.

Any help with lights and filter would be greatly appreciated I'd like it crystal clean, I remember UV lights but never knew how to use them.

My knowledge of tools and plumbing is low at best.

I do have some budget, probably 1000-2000 total without fish, my friend says he has something waiting once tank is running cycled and supporting feeders.

Thank!

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
Also, I could stretch tank length to 60 inch, width is limited to door width at But 20" :(.

The first few months would be guppies breeding colony to support single predator.

My preference would be LED lights.

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
First post, but long time fish keeper. Haven't kept fish in almost a decade, so my knowledge isn't as sharp as you fine folk.

I have space for a 48 by 18/20 inch tank, probably 20 inch high. Saw one with canopy and 30 inch tall stand.

What sort of filter would suit a solitary or maybe group of large predator (relative to tank size).

I think substrate would be single wood piece and palm size rocks and plants tucked in the wood.

Any help with lights and filter would be greatly appreciated I'd like it crystal clean, I remember UV lights but never knew how to use them.

My knowledge of tools and plumbing is low at best.

I do have some budget, probably 1000-2000 total without fish, my friend says he has something waiting once tank is running cycled and supporting feeders.

Thank!
Hello and welcome back to the hobby !

As for filtration, generally anything that is going to give your aquarium a turnover
Rate of atleast 7 times per hour. For example, if its a 50 gallon aquarium an external canister with a flow rate of 350 gph would be an excellent start.

Now a days most keepers are using a method called a fishless cycle. Its easier, safer for the fish (as there are none) and allows you to build up a bioload capable of handling all of your fish you plan on adding at the same time.

UV sterilizers are an excellent way of controlling algae in the aquarium however the jury is still out on their effectivness when it comes to controlling pathogens. Quarantining your new fish and treating them for parasites is now considered a Must due to the potential for disease and parasites quite commonly found at your LFS.

Ince again welcome and if you have any more questions feel frer to ask anytime

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
Thank you so much for the quick response. I haven't yet ordered the tank, so I'm not rushing this tank. I do want it pristine and as flawless as possible. I'll setup a quarantine tank under (inside stand if possible or another room.

If I use canister, can UV be added to the system? I remember wetdry being the rage back then what's great now? Canister?

I would like this tank looming very nice, sapphire (I think) glass and oak canopy and stand. I would hate to see any algae!

I would make some sort of hiding spots for guppies to provide random live feeders.

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
And food would be mostly store shrimp and beef heart, pellets if possible. And the occasional guppy (health). Maybe even worms.

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
Thank you so much for the quick response. I haven't yet ordered the tank, so I'm not rushing this tank. I do want it pristine and as flawless as possible. I'll setup a quarantine tank under (inside stand if possible or another room.

If I use canister, can UV be added to the system? I remember wetdry being the rage back then what's great now? Canister?

I would like this tank looming very nice, sapphire (I think) glass and oak canopy and stand. I would hate to see any algae!

I would make some sort of hiding spots for guppies to provide random live feeders.
The UV sterilizer can be attached to your output from the canister filter. A lot of people here are pro Wet/Dry. I have had success with both. the Wet/Dry allows for more opportunity to increase the biological filter media which is limited in a canister , which normally aren't that large . If you plan on overstocking your tank , a Wet/Dry would be a good choice.

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
I wouldn't want it overstocked. 1 main fish some dither fish and breeding supply son art enough to avoid predator via java moss and wood.

would I need to install wetdry? Any drilling? I like canisters because it's just tubes hanging off the back.

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
I wouldn't want it overstocked. 1 main fish some dither fish and breeding supply son art enough to avoid predator via java moss and wood.

would I need to install wetdry? Any drilling? I like canisters because it's just tubes hanging off the back.
That's why I like canister filters , it's a simple setup. However to someone who knows how to drill glass i'm sure its just as easy. Both have room for failure . So in the end it really makes no difference to me. i run two Fluval fx 6 canister filters on my aquarium. Silent not a peep from those bad boys

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Based on your dimensions you're probably looking at a 75g? I love 75's

Canisters and equipment in general have come a long way in the last decade. When it comes to overpriced namebrand filters, I'm on the fluval bandwagon. There are alot of great budget knockoff filters available now, but if you've got a decent amount of money set aside I'd skip them.

As mentioned the fx6 is a good option. I'd opt for 2 406's instead of a single fx. They'd come out to about the same price, be easier to clean and rotate maintenance. Plus give you more options for inline equipment and water flow. I have 2 on a 75 and I absolutely love them.

A sump is a good option but may be more trouble than its worth on a smaller tank. I went crazy with my sump on my 90g.

There are alot of good economy LED lights out now for good price. I dont know a whole lot about them. I did buy a 48" Marineland double bright LED on sale for $100. It's awesome - a word of caution though, the single bright LED models they sell at petsmart and petco are not

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
Yeah could be anything from 75-100gallons pretty much. Good size tank. Canisters will be fine for ya

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store