Hello MFK

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Still no tank as of yet. Browsing a few stores for a deal.

Filter, most likely fx6. What's the g6 I just saw? A little bit more money but looks more advanced... worth the extra money?
I've never owned a G series, so people can correct me if im wrong, but the whole thing looked like a gimic to me. I don't see how most of its features are necessary and it looks like your restricted by filter media options, but again I've never used one.

I think you're making a good decision on the FX. I've always had good luck with fluval and bad luck with eheim. I'd put some sort of secondary filtration on the tank incase you have a pump failure, or accidentally crash the tank by doing too good of a job cleaning your fx. But that's just how I do it. Redundancy is king. I had an eheim 2215 s*** the bed and quit pumping, it airlocked and by the time I realized it, I hada cloudy tank and some dead fish on my hands

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
I really tried to like them but the filters' and heaters kept breaking down on me. I have tried others and so far I am really liking the Fluval FX 6. What model do you currently own ? i've seen good reviews on the eheim 2262.
I'm running two 2217's and one 2213

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
Yeah I was planning to pair the fx6 with a hang on, maybe aqeuon.
Been reading conflicting info on adding a UV sterilizer to the fx6, saying it's too much flow for any UV to happen.. is it true?

This tank will be near a window and will be hit by light through some shades, so UV is a must. I do not want to see a single speck of algae if possible.

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
Yeah I was planning to pair the fx6 with a hang on, maybe aqeuon.
Been reading conflicting info on adding a UV sterilizer to the fx6, saying it's too much flow for any UV to happen.. is it true?

This tank will be near a window and will be hit by light through some shades, so UV is a must. I do not want to see a single speck of algae if possible.
Yes it is to fast of flow unless you go with a very high powered UV. Also a UV sterilizer will help reduce algae on the tank, but it will deal more with the algae that is in the water column. If you don't want algae on the glass be very careful not to overfeed the fish.

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
Well the 100 gallon would be for 1 fish, and possible dither fish like guppies and tetras (I will have some wood and plants as well log for large predator).

It will not be an overstocked tank, so I'm sure the fx6 plus additional canister with UV hooked up will help algae.

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
Well the 100 gallon would be for 1 fish, and possible dither fish like guppies and tetras (I will have some wood and plants as well log for large predator).

It will not be an overstocked tank, so I'm sure the fx6 plus additional canister with UV hooked up will help algae.
It will definitely help, but doesn't prevent all of it. If your running it inline, just be sure to pair it with a UV rated at that flow rate.

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
Ok, so I got a 48 x 24 x 24 into my room today. The other 100 is a maybe, seller said he might still sell me.

500 watts of metal halide 14k bulbs, will replace to 10k.

Ditched the wetdry, using sump as hospital tank (35 gallon).

Got a low flow canister, I'll attack UV until my fx6 arrives.

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
Yeah, it opens in front and on top. Total, 5 doors on this stand and canopy, 2 being in the stand.

It has 500 watts metal halide. Will UV sterilizer be need if I keep the lights on 1030 pm to 1 am? It will get ambient room light, nothing direct.

And so far I added some prime (according to bottle recommendations, but maybe light hande).

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
Bubbles clearing a bit. Added some Dalmatians for cycle.
Bought a plastic looking driftwood, it actually looks real and nice, will get another to stack left side for cave like retreat for predator.

What plants would be suitable for 500 watts (250 each side)? In a 2 foot depth tank. Bulbs are about 6 inches above water.

The canister says it has a 9 watt UV built in... but my tank doesn't sit in light anymore so I'm wondering if I will have algae issues.

Tank is looking good!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store