Water then sand substrate?

Joecool44

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2015
New Jersey
I filled my 125 gallon up and I was wondering could I add the sand with the water in the tank or do I have to suck all the water back out to do this also if I can would I turn the filter off or does tht not matter? I filled it with water first to see if it had any leaks and it doesn't and now I don't have a pump to back out the water.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Just throw the sand in, Pre wash it!! Turn the pump off,

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
You can load sand into buckets/cups and drop to bottom and poured to minimize sand movement.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Yes, wash the sand then add it.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Just throw the sand in, Pre wash it!! Turn the pump off,
Do this...

You can load sand into buckets/cups and drop to bottom and poured to minimize sand movement.
and this.

Pre-wash the sand until the water runs clear, keep the pumps off and load the sand through containers. That will minimize the amount of loose particles that will end up being suspended in the water column and going through the pumps

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I used pool filter sand. Filled a 5 gallon pail about 70% full stuck the hose right to the bottom of the bucket. Cranked on the water and left it for an hour. I bet I lost 3 or 4 lbs of sand. But it was all light grains. I was able to literally just pour it into my tank from the top with a highly stocked tank with zero issues.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store