Starting the dig...

nero6370

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2006
Medina, Ohio
I actually have the 1st layer dug; it's 16x8 at the moment. I am considering going a little bigger, maybe 18x10 or 12; still pondering that one. Digging is a b**ch due to the roots, plus the occasional rock. Could be worse, though. This is kind of like a practice pond; I built a 180 "practice tank" before I tackled my 700 and I am glad I did. So any mistakes with this pond I will learn from before I tackle the one in the front yard. I almost soiled myself when the wife gave me permission to dice up the front yard for a pond; I made sure to butter her up first though with some cool pond pics from this forum!!:headbang2:headbang2 I plan on a shelf about 12" wide and 8-10" deep, then maybe another at 12"wide and about 24" deep. The rest will be 4-5' deep, guesstimated at about 4500 gallons, give or take. The high ground is at the shed, there is a slight slope of maybe 2 or 3 degrees; I plan on building up a berm on the low side to account for that. Right now, I plan on having a diy waterfall at the high end next to the shed; the shed will house the pump and filter. I like to stick with as much diy as possible; 1st I am a cheap sob lol, 2nd I have so much leftover pipe, fittings, etc, from the tanks that it would be a waste not to use them, 3rd I can't risk irking the wife unnecessarily by spending what I don't have to...Of course, advice is always welcome!!:D

100_1101.jpg

100_1102.jpg

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Only on MFK can a person Proudly post pix of a hole in the ground and be praised for it.

:mwave:Bravo:mwave:

Keep up the good work.

What filtration do you have planned for it?

Dr Joe

nero6370

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2006
Medina, Ohio
LOL Too true Dr. Joe! As far as filtration is concerned, the jury is still out; it will be diy for the most part. After doing some basic research, I see I can go down a few different paths; a external pump pulling from a bottom drain and possibly combined with a skimmer, feeding a bio falls at the high end of the pond. I would want to use plants as much as the 4 seasons will allow; supplemented by a separate wet/dry housed with the pump in the shed. But I have also seen setups with submersible pumps; I would use a bio falls setup with the sub but would need to find a way to plumb a skimmer into the sub or I would have to nix it. I would rather have a skimmer than not with all the pine trees dropping cones. I am more concerned with the mechanical aspect of filtration with this due to the pine cones, twigs, leaves, etc.

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
i cant wait to see more pics of it coming along! i love ponds and want one in my backyard someday....

keep us updated!

Taz2478

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
not where I'm supposed to be
set your camera's date. I had to look at the post date to see if I should ask for updated pics.:screwy:

you could easily do a skimmer and bottom drain that gets pumped to the filter in the shed which then goes to the waterfall. saw it at a local pond shop. you can either have 1 pump ea or just 1 big pump.

to keep the tree stuff out, get a net of some kind. I've seen the screen door stuff used quite effectively.

gl with the rest of your digging an setting up...

nero6370

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2006
Medina, Ohio
sorry about the camera date; every time I change batteries it needs resetting. I got into the habit of ignoring the date... Good idea about the netting; I had a thought about building an arbor of some sort out of 4x4 and 2x6. Mainly I wanted to prevent the really big stuff from hitting the pond, like falling limbs and such that could puncture the liner; it would be easy to add some hardware cloth or chicken wire for the smaller stuff...another question- in doing research I 've read that 1 to 2x turnover rate is fine for ponds; as opposed to the 5 or 6x (or more) turnover rate I always read about for aquariums. Is this accurate? I hope so because I would hate to pay for pump powerful enough to turn over a 4000 gallon pond 4 or 5x an hour!!:nilly:

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
1 - 2 X overturn will be fine. Once ponds start getting over 4K gal. the pumps can get pricey fast. With 1 big pump in a big skimmer, I would wait to build a pergolla or arbor. It just may be enough to catch all the big stuff you refer too. Once running, you will be able to determine if you really need one. As for big stuff falling in the pond and puncturing the liner, you can always use rocks and boulders covering the bottom and shelves. Oneother note, before you put the underlayment and liner in. Try to determine where you want your liles at. That said, dig small pockets 4-6" deep and about the size of a dinner plate around, or bigger. That way your hardy liles can be directly planted in the pond w/o any exposed pots. Really you can do this w/ all your plants to keep it a natural and uncluttered look. Once the liner is in place and you have found the depressions. Simply remove the pot from its pot, place in the hole, and backfil around it w/ pea gravel and #6 or #8 washed river stone. The numbers is how they determin the size by me. #6 is a little larger than peastone, and the #8 is about golf ball size.

nero6370

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2006
Medina, Ohio
Thanks for the advice Muske; so lilies are a good nitrifying (did I spell that right?)plant? I definitely want to use plants as much as possible to keep the toxins down, as well as supply oxygen; I have a list in one of my pond books...I was also thinking of some flat rocks for liner protection; we have a fair size dog (see avatar) that always finds a wet ditch when he's on a walk and gets too warm. I don't doubt he'll try to take a dip in the pond if he gets a chance and I would rather him not puncture the liner. Of course a small fence comes to mind, but he's busted through my chain link before; now I just leave it open and he stays put. Go figure. Anyways, a fence strong enough to keep him out will look like crizzap. Remember, I am trying to keep things as attractive as possible so as the wife will continue to do my bidding...lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store