Starting the dig...

nero6370

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2006
Medina, Ohio
I did some more digging; decided to widen her up a bit. I made it 10' wide from the original 8'. I believe I will only have the shelf on one side due to the amount of light available. The shed and trees block a lot of the light from the right side (looking at the shed) of the pond; my potential water feature near the shed will also be in shade for a larger portion of the day than I originally had taken into consideration. The water feature would consist of a fair amount of plants to eat some toxins, but unless I get some that only require 4-5hours of sunlight I will be wasting my time. As you can see from the pics, Brutus has already staked out his spot; maybe I should make a shelf just for him...:wall:

100_1117.jpg

100_1119.jpg

100_1120.jpg

100_1121.jpg

100_1123.jpg

nero6370

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2006
Medina, Ohio
Got a little more dug out; recruited a couple of helpers. They actually thought it was fun, then the roots ruined that for them!! They became observers (loafers!) after that...:D I would say I dug about 2 1/2' deep the entire width (not including the shelf). The digging got easier as it got deeper; but I need to go buy a wheelbarrow-I can heave the dirt only so far.:nilly: I am starting to think of moving the water fall to the opposite end due to the lack of adequate sunlight at the shed end, but that increases the run between the pump (if I stick with the external in the shed) and the water feature, which means a bigger (more expensive) pump...There is a good chance of rain today, so I may not get to dig; plus I need to finish sistering the floor joists in the wife's bath so I can lay tile...got to keep her happy or else!:swear:

100_1128.jpg

100_1131.jpg

100_1124.jpg

100_1138.jpg

100_1140.jpg

nero6370

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2006
Medina, Ohio
You know, as far as stocking goes, I haven't really given much thought. I have several to choose from out of the 700- my pacus, the ck, the pbass, the jag, or the plecos (common). In the 150 I have a warrior fh, a lsn cat, 2 common pleco, a royal and a albino choc. I realize that no matter which I choose the temp must be adequate for them, which brings me to my next hurdle- the heat source...

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
If you are going for fish other than Koi and Goldies, you can run a nat. gas fired boiler in the shed. Your PBass and TSN will thank you. As for dogs, a smacks on the ass of my Lab Mix made her realize that the pond was not for her. The shelves do make it easier for pets and small kids to get out in the event of a swan dive.

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
As for plants, there are many that will do well and flower in less than full sun. Lilies will flower better w/6+ hrs. a day, but they will still look very cool and a little fert. can boost a few more blooms. All plants (submerged, marginal, floaters, and lotus/lily) will help w/nitrates. Some more than others...

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Dr Joe;1652973; said:
Only on MFK can a person Proudly post pix of a hole in the ground and be praised for it.

That's now my second favorite quote on MFK , the other being the power tools v the screwdriver picture:ROFL:

A good old fashioned hole digging eh? I'll keep posted, looking good so far keep up the good work:headbang2

thumsa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2007
Platteville, WI
Sounds like a pretty tough stocking decision. At least you are in a warmer climate your bill won't be so great for heating. I live in WI. :swear::wall: I would personally go with the PBass, but I'm a big cichlid fan. Your hole in the dirt looks awesome and I can't wait for updates!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store