Hand feeding, and petting catfish

StinkRay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2007
Canada
alright i have decided, sonce so many pl hve RTC x TSN hybrids from now on we will just call them red tailed shovel noses. if anyone disagrees im in london on, canada and they can come up here and take it up with me lol

Munroser

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
thanks, basslover...we like to think that he is as happy as a TSN can be in captivity. Fish Guy pointed out that our boy is a Duckbilled Tiger Shovel Nose Catfish. The pictures you saw were BEFORE he broke his nose...LOL...which probably explains why sometimes I look at TSNs and I think they look odd. What happened recently was that after a major power outage, a piece of his filtering system came on strong and bang...I take a picture of him now which will show that he has an underbite and a ridge for a nose. I'm just grateful that we got through it. He really is a joy.

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
Hate to bust your bubble but there is no such thing as a Duckbilled Tiger Shovel Nose Catfish, a duckbilled catfish is a common name for a Lima shovelnose... thats the only time I've ever heard of a duckbill and shovelnose name put together.

TSN's will sometimes develop a downward curve to their nose if they have hit the glass to hard while young... this usually results in a under or overbite. One of my little guys is developing like that actually... kinda weird to see when I have 6 others with "normal" noses LOL

scubado65

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2008
Madison, Wi
pseudodoras;1461202; said:
i had a 27 inch redtail that i use to pet until the day he grab my hand . i accidentally curved the tips of my fingers over the front of his mouth while petting the top of his head and he grabbed hold and yanked . it did not hurt just kind of a pressure and pull feel but did kind of shook me up . i felt bad for him because i know he enjoyed being pet do to the fact that every time i went near the tank he swam to the front even after a feeding but i was to freaked out to pet him anymore . well i donated him to sea world about 2 years ago
I've gotten quite a few bites from my rtc. Always leaves a nice skin scrape that makes great bragging rights to your friends, especially the bigger they are!:grinno:

Munroser

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
basslover34;1750385; said:
Hate to bust your bubble but there is no such thing as a Duckbilled Tiger Shovel Nose Catfish, a duckbilled catfish is a common name for a Lima shovelnose... thats the only time I've ever heard of a duckbill and shovelnose name put together.

TSN's will sometimes develop a downward curve to their nose if they have hit the glass to hard while young... this usually results in a under or overbite. One of my little guys is developing like that actually... kinda weird to see when I have 6 others with "normal" noses LOL

I think the Fish Guy is pretty knowledgeable, but either way, it doesn't matter. The only bubbles I have are the ones my fish swim in ;) . Good thing I guess.

Munroser

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
zfoster22;1750667; said:
just wandering but i tought peting touching fish was bad for there slime coat?
If you get carried away, it wouldn't be a good thing. I usually let my guy call the shots. If I have a pellet in my hand and he just wants to rub against my hand, then I get rid of the pellet and give him a pet on the nose and under the chin. Sometimes if I cup my hand, he will sit in it for a little while and then I will give him a gentle rub under the belly.

I think he likes the interaction. He's in our living room/dining room and at certain times of the day he faces the front of his tank and watches us. Then he moves around more and that's when I take my cue from him. It's kind of routine and is usually in the early evening. I'm only 5'2" so I have to get a chair to reach down into his tank, and when he sees the chair coming, he gets more active. It's pretty awesome and it sure shows that he thinks and has feelings.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
my perruno is wierd.
he'll come touch my hand than dash around the tank like hes freaking out.
and he'll keep doing it when my hands in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store