Do you fight with your family/friends over this hobby?

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
This post is funny cause the only friends I got that are into real exotic fish I've met on here so when I try to talk to yhem about fish they're like man your crazy spending thousands on fish my wife use to be the same way now she actually likes the rays and other exotic fish this hobby is pretty expensive if u really get into it so we are definitely a very niche hobby and hard to talk about it to the regular people in our daily lives but if they truly care about u I guess they get on board with it

wat??

My wife was not supportive of installing a 300 gallon tank in our living room, but now she likes it. I don't know if I'd call it fighting, more like shaking her head and muttering 'that boy ain't right'.

gg1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2014
chattanooga tn
You need to distinguish emotionally supportive and financially supportive.

If you are talking about financially supportive and your mom doesn't want to pay for Prime and water and electric (a few good sized tanks could easily be $100 / month), she has every right to be mad and shut you down. There is a 0% chance my parents would have let me have more than a single 20 gallon tank, not only due to the looks / mess, but we didn't have the money for all the expenses. Some of you say 25 tanks living at home? Your parents aren't just supportive, they're rich.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork a

Lmfao....my parents let me have one 10 gallon wen at home it was salt water freashwater and everything thing I could fit in that I could buy w my 10$ allowance if I did all the stuff I needed to to get that 10$.... Not untill I was grown and out was I able to get what I wanted .....sometimes if I really want somethin the ol lady just makes a deal w me so she can get what she wants lol ...if I don't act like I want it that bad she could care less but other then that she enjoys it

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
My wife puts up with it cause she knows it's something that I enjoy but if something breaks and I have to spend $$, then I'll be hearing it for awhile.

Monster_Minis

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2014
Wisconsin
3rd date? Or whatever it was that I invited my husband to see my bedroom and the 5 tanks... I just let him in and watched... Thankfully he had talked about on his lunches going to the petstore and watching the fish and wanting a tank but never knowing what to do ect... He took a few minutes checking out all the tanks ( yep i was totally ignored) and then asked me about them for the next hour... I tagged and bagged that man soon afterwards! Lol

my parents where always financially supportive but man did they complain. My dad kept tanks and got me into the hobby to begin with so he had to blame himself lol. Now they just roll their eyes when they come over. And we ignore it... Our kids love the tanks however, and their oppinions are the only ones I care about except my husbands.. We do discuss and talk about new tanks or changes in stock... Pretty sure he'd be ticked off at this point if I sold the Aba without consulting him, and. I'd be mad if he sold my new cichlids. We discuss, negotiate... And make decisions lol. Thats half the fun for me these days.

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
3rd date? Or whatever it was that I invited my husband to see my bedroom and the 5 tanks... I just let him in and watched... Thankfully he had talked about on his lunches going to the petstore and watching the fish and wanting a tank but never knowing what to do ect... He took a few minutes checking out all the tanks ( yep i was totally ignored) and then asked me about them for the next hour... I tagged and bagged that man soon afterwards! Lol

my parents where always financially supportive but man did they complain. My dad kept tanks and got me into the hobby to begin with so he had to blame himself lol. Now they just roll their eyes when they come over. And we ignore it... Our kids love the tanks however, and their oppinions are the only ones I care about except my husbands.. We do discuss and talk about new tanks or changes in stock... Pretty sure he'd be ticked off at this point if I sold the Aba without consulting him, and. I'd be mad if he sold my new cichlids. We discuss, negotiate... And make decisions lol. Thats half the fun for me these days.
Ha, very similar to me. My dad got me into the hobby when he was in college (He had a 30 gallon, then an 80 with a couple of severums. (One lived for 13 years, one we sold at age 10, no idea if he's alive or not)

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
It seems to be mostly "I argue with my spouse about i" hahaha. I was expecting more "I had a near divorce because my spouse was not happy with my 25 aquariums in our bedroom along with the additional 40 in the basement"

Rayshot1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2008
California
what size tank do you have? i have slowly made my wife get accustomed to it when we were just dating..so always let girlfriends/significant others know right off the bat.. that this isnt just a "Thing" that is going to go away..it is a hobby..and as it stands i started with a 20 gllon.. and now have my own fish room and a pond in the back yard together pushing around 600+ gallons ... so be true to your Hobby!

jwowoski

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
New York
My parents got me a 10 gallon then soon became a 30 gallon then soon to be a 55 gallon then soon to be a 150 gallon lol now searching for a bigger 200+ plus tank right now. It started as a 10 gallon for me in this hobby. Everyone around me loves me doing this hobby, they love coming downstairs in the basement to see all the exotic and crazy fish we have down there and see and watch them eat and learn about the whole process so I have a lot of support behind what I do. It's awesome

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
He is starting to like the dovi and I have him convinced we need a brand spanking new custom built tank. :) 30" wide 20 " high , 8 ' long. I am excited !!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store