Do you fight with your family/friends over this hobby?

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
My mother is also sick of all the water changes and the electric bill. She even threatened to smash my aquarium a few times if I "keep wasting water"
Thank god my family's house runs on solar panels. The electric is only like
$1-$2 a month even with 8 tanks running

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

boogeyman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
Wilmington nc
This post is funny cause the only friends I got that are into real exotic fish I've met on here so when I try to talk to yhem about fish they're like man your crazy spending thousands on fish my wife use to be the same way now she actually likes the rays and other exotic fish this hobby is pretty expensive if u really get into it so we are definitely a very niche hobby and hard to talk about it to the regular people in our daily lives but if they truly care about u I guess they get on board with it

Sent from my SPH-L720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
My mother is also sick of all the water changes and the electric bill. She even threatened to smash my aquarium a few times if I "keep wasting water"
all my water goes to the trees and plants outside.

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
If you pay your own bills, own your own home where this is taking place, and are paying for everything yourself then it's none of anybody's business and there's nothing to fight about.

If somebody else owns the property, pays the bills, or has to buy anything for you then it's probably their call and there's nothing to fight about.

If you share in ownership, paying of bills, or making purchases then you should choose carefully who you are partnering with to make sure they are supportive of your hobby and there's nothing to fight about.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Dude I really feel bad for you. My mom has actually convinced me to buy a 240 gallon sometime this winter so I keep her favorite fish of mine (gibbiceps pleco) that's getting to big. My parents Christmas present to me is also helping me build a high tech basement Fishroom so they can have their dining room (my temp fish room :)) back.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
For those of you who say your GF or wife doesn't like the hobby. My solution is I'll only date girls who are already obsessed with fish or are willing to become obsessed :D

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
If you pay your own bills, own your own home where this is taking place, and are paying for everything yourself then it's none of anybody's business and there's nothing to fight about.

If somebody else owns the property, pays the bills, or has to buy anything for you then it's probably their call and there's nothing to fight about.

If you share in ownership, paying of bills, or making purchases then you should choose carefully who you are partnering with to make sure they are supportive of your hobby and there's nothing to fight about.
^^^^^ THIS.
I'm in the 1st category.
I just tell people I am a fish keeper.
If I have to explain it they wouldn't understand.
One RN I work with told me it wasn't a pet unless it had fur. So I invited her and her two pet rats to have a play date with my 5 ft. ball python.

She declined.
Rich

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
For those of you who say your GF or wife doesn't like the hobby. My solution is I'll only date girls who are already obsessed with fish or are willing to become obsessed :D
+2 best advice i've ever read

Sent from my SCH-R830C

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
Wow....I wish I was you guys. My mom is absolutely clueless and she thinks she's an "expert" on fish because she kept goldfish in tiny bowls as a kid. "FISH JUST NEED WATER, THEY DON'T NEED THIS SEACHEM JUNK" or "JUST GIVE FISH FOOD WHEN YOU'RE BORED AND THEY'RE FINE" "YOU ONLY NEED TO DO ONE WATER CHANGE A MONTH, THAT'S WHAT I DID" It's really making me sick. None of my friends or family are in the hobby and they all think I'm insane.
Do you help pay for water? When I started my big tanks I started paying half of the water bill to help out since I was working. After awhile they got used to it, really liked some of my fish, and seeing enough losses they know I can't skimp on my water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store