Flower Ray P.Schroderi Success stories?

swedeboy78

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2011
My crib
I feed my rays once a day but I initially fed the Flower 3-4 times a day until she got bigger.
She went from 5-14" in less than 2 yrs. Won't touch pellets but enjoys nightcrawlers, shrimp, smelts and silversides.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
To be honest if I wanted a tiger or flower rays I would probably get one no matter how many people said my tank was to small

Just worry about that when the time comes

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
Here is a sucess story .....

I've had a flower male for 5 years now. The males stay smaller he's around 16" across and 18" long there disc are shaped like an egg. As for compatibility. I left mine on his own for many years. Now he is a furious eating ray and eats fast and pounds food hard. I would not trust a my flower around new born pups he is really attracted to live foods .they typically are not good with other rays like Leo's and motoro type but can be mixed with certain not so aggressive ones. All rays act different so I can't say much about mines behaviour being the normal for flower/tiger rays. They are very difficult to get in and in decent shape. Have to use RO for a while to get him used to your water. For the most part they are amoung the hardest ray to keep alive. I've had others that died instant or after few months. It's very hard to find a long term captive specimen in North America . I'm one of the lucky ones. Mine is pretty tough now I think it just has to be well cared for and it will come around and mix with any rays. But it will be impossible to raise them up with other types in the tank it does take them quite some Time to start feeding fast like others

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Here is a sucess story .....

I've had a flower male for 5 years now. The males stay smaller he's around 16" across and 18" long there disc are shaped like an egg. As for compatibility. I left mine on his own for many years. Now he is a furious eating ray and eats fast and pounds food hard. I would not trust a my flower around new born pups he is really attracted to live foods .they typically are not good with other rays like Leo's and motoro type but can be mixed with certain not so aggressive ones. All rays act different so I can't say much about mines behaviour being the normal for flower/tiger rays. They are very difficult to get in and in decent shape. Have to use RO for a while to get him used to your water. For the most part they are amoung the hardest ray to keep alive. I've had others that died instant or after few months. It's very hard to find a long term captive specimen in North America . I'm one of the lucky ones. Mine is pretty tough now I think it just has to be well cared for and it will come around and mix with any rays. But it will be impossible to raise them up with other types in the tank it does take them quite some Time to start feeding fast like others
Thanks Calgary... maybe I will just bug you for a snow leopard....

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
Flower ray is a forever ray. It's an amazing show piece for any collector to have. Mine does so well with super aggressive rays now. Just takes 5 years to get him settled in your water and eating hardy than you can slowly introduce him to small medium rays. Mine is incredibly aggressive. I cannot trust him with mommy rays about to give birth ,he loves live foods .

Any one who wants to keep one the reality is they get big. The females are the only ones I've seen giant the males do get up to around 25" females 35" ,the reality is you probably won't be breeding them unless your a seasoned ray keeper only twice have they been bred in North America (that actually counts lol) vancouver aquarium in British Columbia and shedd in Chicago. If your serious and would want one I'd just go with a male they may stay smaller than lots of black ray females.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
He is my coolest ray. They should not be a potamotrygon. They are like a cross between potamotrygon a paratrygon antenna type ray or somewhere in the middle. It's just takes one quick look at one in person to realize they are a lot different looking body parts eye ,spiracles ,head structure ,disc shape and tail length.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
He is a beauty Calgary. And I agree with all you say. With that being said I will make the plunge again:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store