I love sumps, But I am FED up

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I'm curious to know why you have 2 pumps, but then dialing them both back?
I never need to adjust, I just run 1 pump and only dial influent to the back to the tank, if its too much for the capacity of the overflow.
In this way(except for evaporation, or water changes) the sump stays constant.
Also, I do not shut a line down to clean filter socks, just pull the sock off, rinse and slide back on the effluent pipe.

h0ckeyfreek20

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2012
NJ
I'm curious to know why you have 2 pumps, but then dialing them both back?
I never need to adjust, I just run 1 pump and only dial influent to the back to the tank, if its too much for the capacity of the overflow.
In this way(except for evaporation, or water changes) the sump stays constant.
Also, I do not shut a line down to clean filter socks, just pull the sock off, rinse and slide back on the effluent pipe.
Initially tried one Mag24 but then I had to dial back the drains.

Being anal about cycle rate, i wanted every bit of flow so rather than blocking a drain and decreasing cycle rate, I bought another pump.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
The problem is you don't have a full siphon running so the drains cannot keep up with your pumps. The tank water level goes up as dursos are very inefficient which causes the dursos to start a siphon. The siphon then outflows the pumps causing the water level in the sump to rise until it is no longer a siphon running. Throttling back your pumps should help solve the issue.

As for the dursos being so high to prevent floods, you need a bigger sump if you are concerned about it overflowing. Either that or keep your sump water level a bit lower. Either one should work. A bit of adjustment can make a small sump work on a large tank.

h0ckeyfreek20

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2012
NJ
The problem is you don't have a full siphon running so the drains cannot keep up with your pumps. The tank water level goes up as dursos are very inefficient which causes the dursos to start a siphon. The siphon then outflows the pumps causing the water level in the sump to rise until it is no longer a siphon running. Throttling back your pumps should help solve the issue.

As for the dursos being so high to prevent floods, you need a bigger sump if you are concerned about it overflowing. Either that or keep your sump water level a bit lower. Either one should work. A bit of adjustment can make a small sump work on a large tank.
I do have full siphon though, on both drains the strainer and the 180* pvc.

Both drains are at full siphon and the pumps (mag18 + 24) are strong enough to accommodate full siphon.
I run it this way because full siphon makes less noise.

It is usually the pumps being too strong for the drain and i wake up to a noisy pump because it is running almost dry.

I have the 20g sump set very low and the 29 gallon is filled about halfway. It won't flood when the power goes out (I've reluctantly tested it haha) but If i set the drain pipes much lower in the water it may overflow the sumps.

Lusus_Naturae

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2010
OK, USA
I do have full siphon though, on both drains the strainer and the 180* pvc.

Both drains are at full siphon and the pumps (mag18 + 24) are strong enough to accommodate full siphon.
I run it this way because full siphon makes less noise.

It is usually the pumps being too strong for the drain and i wake up to a noisy pump because it is running almost dry.

I have the 20g sump set very low and the 29 gallon is filled about halfway. It won't flood when the power goes out (I've reluctantly tested it haha) but If i set the drain pipes much lower in the water it may overflow the sumps.
I'm no expert by any means here, but have you thought about T-ing off one pumps return line and running it back to the sump? It would keep the sump from running dry without dialing the pump back.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store