New guy looking for an entertaining fish for my 55g

Pitbull14218

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Ny
So when people say sabertooth barracuda theyre talking about scombs and vampire tetra? Non of these would fit in my 55g?

Pitbull14218

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Ny
Hydrolycus tatauia - this species of vampire tetra seem to live longer and not get as big?

rarer and more expensive though?

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
How are the scomb or sabretooth tetra or payara when it comes to feeding and general maintenance? Are they all the same species?

I really like their teeth.

So are you saying that I can have one of each in a 55g?
I am specifically talking about H. scomberoides. That's the only 1 you can keep in a 55 but that size tank is definitely the bare minimum and it would be better if you add a couple powerheads as well. When it comes to feeding, they're not as personable as the others but they attack feeders like crazy.
You would only be able to keep 1 Senegal bichir which maxes out around 10" but will occasionally reach a foot OR a group of probably 3 ropefish which max around 16" but are much much thinner than a Senegal bichir along with the payara. Hujeta gars also max around a foot but the largest I've seen was 10" but the average size I see is normally around 7-8". As long as you have an extremely large filter or 2 and keep up with wc's, I don't see a problem with keeping those in a 55. Just know that the avg lifespan of a scomb is about 2 years.

No way you can keep any of those fish in a 55.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
He can keep a single scomb in a 55. They max around a foot in aquariums.

In all honesty though, if you can find a red wolf, that would be best cuz they are extremely personable and are always out and about but it would be the only fish in the tank

Pitbull14218

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Ny
I am specifically talking about H. scomberoides. That's the only 1 you can keep in a 55 but that size tank is definitely the bare minimum and it would be better if you add a couple powerheads as well. When it comes to feeding, they're not as personable as the others but they attack feeders like crazy.
You would only be able to keep 1 Senegal bichir which maxes out around 10" but will occasionally reach a foot OR a group of probably 3 ropefish which max around 16" but are much much thinner than a Senegal bichir along with the payara. Hujeta gars also max around a foot but the largest I've seen was 10" but the average size I see is normally around 7-8". As long as you have an extremely large filter or 2 and keep up with wc's, I don't see a problem with keeping those in a 55. Just know that the avg lifespan of a scomb is about 2 years.

He can keep a single scomb in a 55. They max around a foot in aquariums.

In all honesty though, if you can find a red wolf, that would be best cuz they are extremely personable and are always out and about but it would be the only fish in the tank

Thanks for the reply. I don't know if I would want a scomb since they live only 2years.

What do the red wolfs go for $?

how are they different than the regular wolfs?

I don't know about the rope fish that might creep me out a little too much lol

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Red wolves are around $50 depending on your area. There are a great number of wolves so I dunno what you mean by regular wolf but pretty much just stay away from any hoplias species. All their prices are different and all their sizes are as well but red wolves are 1 of the smaller ones.

Pitbull14218

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Ny
Red wolves are around $50 depending on your area. There are a great number of wolves so I dunno what you mean by regular wolf but pretty much just stay away from any hoplias species. All their prices are different and all their sizes are as well but red wolves are 1 of the smaller ones.

Should I buy them online and if so where?

Non of my local shops have any right now.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
You can see if your shops can special order them for you. I've never personally kept any type of erythrinus but I've kept hoplias malabaricus and they are super aggressive and fun to watch. I know people that have kept ery's and they say they're pretty much the same as hoplias but in a smaller package but their colors are insane!

Pitbull14218

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Ny
You can see if your shops can special order them for you. I've never personally kept any type of erythrinus but I've kept hoplias malabaricus and they are super aggressive and fun to watch. I know people that have kept ery's and they say they're pretty much the same as hoplias but in a smaller package but their colors are insane!

What was your reason for staying away from the Hoplias species?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store