Nitrate Reduction Setup!

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
This is what I plan to do...

Anyone see any flaws in my design? Ive never done a refugium before so I could use some help. Thanks Guys.

NilePufferFanatic

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Idaho
I am inspired by your idea. You will need a good mechanical filter before your pump or it will get clogged with plant parts.
Look at the DIY section for filtering. You'll find many great ideas, but none like this.

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
Thank you

Im hoping to be able to make a noticeable difference in the nitrate levels of my tank so that I wont have to go into town to pick up water as often. (My well water come out at 40ppm!)

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
anyone see anything wrong or have some to suggest?

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Depending on your bioload, I just don't think you're going to see the results you hope for. It takes tons of plants to do the trick.

I find that water hyacinth in the main tank helps a bit.

Ultimately, it may just be easier to buy an R.O. system for your tap water.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
stick the pump in a 5 or 10 gallon tank that will keep it seperate and you can put a sponge on the intake or a filter bag and it wont clog up as quick

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
It seems logical…

I’m picturing it basically as a long sump under the main tank with tons of plants in the sump…

Before you decide you may consider buying the RO unit and having two tanks :p

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
I dont want to mess with an RO and I like do it yourselfs! Im gunna go for it. I have a rubbermaid but I want a larger one. anyone know of 50+ gallon containers that could be used? Like maybe they are used in some industry and are generally disposed of??? I know I could go buy one but im already getting crap for what I spend on fish so I want to make it super low budget!

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
check your local craigslist.... can probally find a 55 or bigger tank for cheap.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store