Nitrate Reduction Setup!

ccdoido38

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2007
s
40ppm isn't too high even thought it says danger on that test kit of yours.
scientific research has shown that nitrate is relatively harmless to freshwater fish. however many people believe low nitrate levels are more natural and therefore better for tropical fish.
my neighbor had his tropical pond at 300ppm for 2years and all of the fish were healthy, active, and growing.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
ccdoido38;1397812; said:
40ppm isn't too high even thought it says danger on that test kit of yours.
scientific research has shown that nitrate is relatively harmless to freshwater fish. however many people believe low nitrate levels are more natural and therefore better for tropical fish.
my neighbor had his tropical pond at 300ppm for 2years and all of the fish were healthy, active, and growing.
What kind of fish?

And can you link to that research? I've never heard of that. Interesting stuff though:)

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
I think I seen your Idea before and it made me think of a lil for my sump.
I am actually doing it with a bare bottom (main tank) so the light goes threw to the 20gl sump. I use a reg tank for my sump and on one side of the tank I have a huge sump cage (what ever you call the acrylic with bio balls inside) and under that is my pump. so I don't get light on one side of the sump, so I am putting a devider (with big spaces) and on the side that has an open birds eye is where the Anubias are going to go. The devider will basically not let any of the plants get close to the powerhead (last time my plant reached it, it got shreadded) and will be used (hopefully) like a real small filter (as far as not letting anything go on the otherside). I also have a free powerhead running for more water cycling and should bunch up all the big plant leaves (if any) on the divider
What do you guys think??????

arl

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
Saskatchewan Canada
I'm thinking it would be better if you can put a bio filter before the planted sump. Plants will consume ammonia and nitrites first before nitrates. If ammonia is already broken down to nitrates by your biofilter the plants will have nothing but nitrates to eat.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
arl;1397948; said:
I'm thinking it would be better if you can put a bio filter before the planted sump. Plants will consume ammonia and nitrites first before nitrates. If ammonia is already broken down to nitrates by your biofilter the plants will have nothing but nitrates to eat.

I have a bio filter (2 of them) on my over flow.
One is a white net from pet-co (used for stuffing media) that I placed around the cylinder of the overflow (used like a sock), and the other is a pad before the water goes down to the Sump. What ever makes it down to the sump I just hope it goes back to the tank (so the Rena can pick it up) from the free cycling powerhead that I have on one side of the tank (so the water cycles in a circular motion).

What do you think???? I've been trying a few diff things and this seems the most effective

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
West1;1397968; said:
I have a bio filter (2 of them) on my over flow.
One is a white net from pet-co (used for stuffing media) that I placed around the cylinder of the overflow (used like a sock), and the other is a pad before the water goes down to the Sump. What ever makes it down to the sump I just hope it goes back to the tank (so the Rena can pick it up) from the free cycling powerhead that I have on one side of the tank (so the water cycles in a circular motion).

What do you think???? I've been trying a few diff things and this seems the most effective
sounds more mechanical than biological.

ccdoido38

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2007
s
rallysman;1397818; said:
What kind of fish?

And can you link to that research? I've never heard of that. Interesting stuff though:)
there's no link. it's comes in the box when you buy rena filstar media.
but i have talked to icthyologists in Japan and they have also told me the same thing and weren't surprised about the fish being healthy living in the 300ppm.

the fish back then(there are more now); peacock bass, iridescent sharks, sailfin pleco, silver arowana, tiger oscar, tiger shovelnose catifish, and a bunch of koi

the only fish that got a disease(that recoverd) was the big oscar and it was hole-head. but again, oscars get that often even in low nitrate level tanks.

he never did water changes(which he does now just because i'm his "boss")
only filled the pond back up if it evaporated.

oh and the neighbor is a marine biologist; he did water changes on his saltwater tanks, since nitrate is bad for them.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
rallysman;1397976; said:
sounds more mechanical than biological.
Yeah, but I guess its both

Scorponok

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2005
cybertron in cyberspace
arl;1397948; said:
I agree.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store