Calcium Deposits

Tommydeal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
Dracut, MA
I got a 75g tank that was used for turtles. It's got some serious calcium despoits on all four sides and I just can't get rid of them. I tried scraping it off with a razorblade, soaking it in vinegar for a day and scrubbing like hell but it just won't budge. If I angle the razorblade correctly and concentrate on one square centimeter for 10 minutes I can get some of the glass clear, but I don't want to scratch the glass and there must be an easier way. Am I doing something wrong here? Maybe not soaking it in vinegar for long enough? Can i use some more harsh chemicals and rinse it thouroughly afterwards?

Tommydeal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
Dracut, MA
If I use harsh chemicals to remove this will I be safe by rinsing it throughly and cycling with guppies and media from an established filter?

Bud8Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Nebraska
I've used CLR in the past. Just make sure and rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse.

And rinse again.

Tommydeal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
Dracut, MA
Thanks Bud, good tip, I'll try that.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Toilet bowl cleaner is the best I have used.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Hydrochloric (Muriatic) acid but use outdoors in good ventilation.

And DON'T mix any of the chemicals suggested here A) it's dangerous & B) it won't help.

Lay the tank on a side and put paper towels down on the inside over the build-up to help hold the liquid in place.

Wear eye and skin protection with any of these cleaners!

Pleas e do read the directions on anything you use as they are all hazardous.

Dr Joe

Tommydeal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
Dracut, MA
thanks doc

Bud8Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Nebraska
Dr Joe;1629861; said:
Hydrochloric (Muriatic) acid but use outdoors in good ventilation.

And DON'T mix any of the chemicals suggested here A) it's dangerous & B) it won't help.

Lay the tank on a side and put paper towels down on the inside over the build-up to help hold the liquid in place.

Wear eye and skin protection with any of these cleaners!

Pleas e do read the directions on anything you use as they are all hazardous.

Dr Joe

LOL, reminds me of the time I used bleach to clean the litter box. I thought I was going to die!

Tommydeal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
Dracut, MA
I tried CLR, worked pretty well but not perfect. I'm going to clean it thoroughly and give the hydrochloric acid a go at it. I'm guessing I should keep all this stuff away from the silicone or won't it be affected? The desposits go right up to the seams.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store