Calcium Deposits

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
i have used that Kaboom stuff by the annoying Oxyclean guy and it worked good for removing salt and calcium deposits--its worth a try also. id try CLR first though.. and rinse it forever until you cant smell anything lol

skynoch

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
I haven't had much luck with clr or hydrocloric acid but when I used industrial stength hand cleaner with pumice grit it worked good with no scratches.Still need the elbow grease tho. lol

Tommydeal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
Dracut, MA
skynoch;1652375; said:
I haven't had much luck with clr or hydrocloric acid but when I used industrial stength hand cleaner with pumice grit it worked good with no scratches.Still need the elbow grease tho. lol

Cool, sounds like that would do it. I researched the hydrochloric acid a little and decided to give the clr another try first. It didn't totally get rid of the deposits but I filled the tank and I can't really see the deposits anymore. While it cycles I'll keep my eye out for them and if I think there still too noticeable I'll opt for the strong acid or steam.

SemperFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2007
Hubert, NC
I use good ole fashioined vinegar to remove calcium deposits in my coffee maker. dont know if that would work for you though.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Be careful of the steam cleaner, with a cold (even cool) tank it can crack the glass, warm whole tank before using it.

The glass could also be etched,, for which you will have to polish the glass.

Dr Joe

Tommydeal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
Dracut, MA
Final outcome:

Not the best picture because in person, the calcium deposits are not visible at all. I ended up having the greatest (though not complete) success with CLR. Never tried the hydrochloric acid or steam. Thanks to all for the good advice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store