New 300 gal above ground turtle and koi pond pics

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
Just set it up over the last few days. First try at the bottom didn't end up so good. I was trying to use some scrap plywood to make it flat since its where my yard was. I didn't think the 3 different pieces would matter but ohh they did. I also didn't put anything on the sides to see how it looked. So not liking any of it I drained the water. I have some shots of the mess here http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113807&page=3

So for the bottom I used 4 bags (200lbs) of sand to level it off and hosed it in some.

Then I lined the sides with some insulation board using some nails. This will help some in the winter since its above ground I guess. I live in Louisiana so it doesn't get too cold here. The notch in the back corner is so the pond will not overflow (I'm trying to keep turtles in it too).

I put the liner (firestone 45mil) back in and put one more row of landscaping timbers and filled her up!

I finally got to return my turtle to a pond! I have been having it for about 6~7 years since it was the size of a quarter. I had it in a pond at my last house but I had to move for work and sold my house early She had to stay in a 58 gal (3'x18"x21") for a year or sow, but now she is in the biggest pond yet!

Staring down the barrel of a gun! This is her checking out the mag 18 that will run the filter.

I really got get that top 1x8 ring on there and get her something to sun herself on! I was going to use some raw cork bark I had but she is too big and tips it over (see in the background). It will work for the smaller turtles I get but I still have to come up for something for her.

There we go now she cant get out, but I need to get some 1x6 for the side boards. I also got it all plumed up using a Tetra Pressure filter (1500) with a 9w UV. I have the water going through my favorit piece of drift wood!! Only problem is it is seeping through the wood as you can see along the back. I plan to use that seepage to water some plants in some sort of planter that I'm going to put the drift wood in.

This is the filter...plumbing is not final...wife was getting ancy for me to be finished if you know what I mean. So it will do for now. I wasn't sure how the driftwood was going to work out. I will wrap the filter in more timbers.

I also added 5 sm koi to the mix to help get it cycling. I know the turtle would probably handle it but this is how I did my last one and I wanted some fish. I have some water test kits to watch it. I cant believe I got them in this shot all lined up perfectly.

This is how the Mag18 is plumed up. I have a bushing going from 3/4" to 1 1/4" then to a T that has a 1/2" ball valve to bleed off some gph (Filter only needs 750 gph from the outflow). I also wanted some current in the pond since I have the turtles. It has a nice slight whirlpool current that helps bring the trash to the pump and and the fish love to play it in too!

Yoji_嬰孩

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2008
rock in water
Great job, looking real good. I like the driftwood idea for the return is it started to release tannins into the pond?! basking area for the RES you can try using a large peice of flat corkboard (nail two nails into each side and tie to corner of pond leave enough line for how far you want it to drift out then at the bottom of the board have an extra nail or staple and tie fishing line with weight to it to keep it held in place so that it cant flip over) Thats what I did for my RES when I had him.

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
awesome! she looks like she's enjoying herself

johnny_1993

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2007
Italy
that pond is amazing! looking really good! get more turtles! that one is awesome.

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Real nice... Loooks like a happy retirement home.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
Yoji_步骤;1741872; said:
Great job, looking real good. I like the driftwood idea for the return is it started to release tannins into the pond?! basking area for the RES you can try using a large peice of flat corkboard (nail two nails into each side and tie to corner of pond leave enough line for how far you want it to drift out then at the bottom of the board have an extra nail or staple and tie fishing line with weight to it to keep it held in place so that it cant flip over) Thats what I did for my RES when I had him.

The driftwood has not been running for that long so no tannins...I dont think it will its been outside running like this on my last pond for several years and I couldnt see any tannin color.

If you look close you can see I did put a screw on the bottom of the cork bark and used fishing line to tie it to 2 1oz weights. It will stay in the middle area of the pond like I want but she still flips it. I will work on it more becasue I really like the look of the cork bark.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store