New 300 gal above ground turtle and koi pond pics

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
You might be able to use the planters that are made for handrails on decks. Since the pond is made from wood, they might just sit on there perfectly. Some Iris, marsh marigold, pickrel weed, and Arrow Heads will fill in nicely. They also grow pretty fast so any brousing might not be noticed. I don't know if you can have floaters (hyacinth/lettuce) in your state, but if you can a couple of them for the Koi and turtle they will high five you. My turtle doesn't really eat the lettuce, but he like to hang out in them and chew them. He will eat pieces of hyacinth though.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
Muske;1748689; said:
You might be able to use the planters that are made for handrails on decks. Since the pond is made from wood, they might just sit on there perfectly. Some Iris, marsh marigold, pickrel weed, and Arrow Heads will fill in nicely. They also grow pretty fast so any brousing might not be noticed. I don't know if you can have floaters (hyacinth/lettuce) in your state, but if you can a couple of them for the Koi and turtle they will high five you. My turtle doesn't really eat the lettuce, but he like to hang out in them and chew them. He will eat pieces of hyacinth though.

Yeah I dont know if we can have lettuce here anymore. I know we used to have it long ago but I havent seen it in a while...but havent looked either.

What I really need to do is put my driftwood in some sort of planter, its leaking water all over lol. It seeps through the wood and is dripping so something has to be done. I will plant some sort of bog type plant around it.

For the iris that will go IN the pond in planters....what kind of soil do I use? I have seen some stuff that seems like its gravel more or less not muddy. I dont know what to use...

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Use washed/river gravel....
Pea gravel or 3/4" stone.
Soil is not necessary, the roots will take hold in the gravel, and take nutrients out of the water. You might find some "pond soil" which is just dried clay material. Much more expensive than just regular gravel found at Lowes or any nursery.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
Muske;1749221; said:
Use washed/river gravel....
Pea gravel or 3/4" stone.
Soil is not necessary, the roots will take hold in the gravel, and take nutrients out of the water. You might find some "pond soil" which is just dried clay material. Much more expensive than just regular gravel found at Lowes or any nursery.
Just what I was thinking...cool. Will that setup work for any type of bog plant other than iris...like the ones you said before.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
Bllib;1749238; said:
That is a great set up!! That gives me some ideas for my home.:naughty:

Thanks....you talking about the pond or the tub tv lol

frasertheking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2007
scotland
love both set ups fill that pond with plants and it will look even better

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Any bog/marginal plant will grow in a soilless, gravel pot or container.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store