Fluval Fx5 Modification.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Introduction
So as we all know the Fx5's design is not the very best for media capacity. I have been thinking of ways to improve this and some ways have been modifying the baskets but this would be way to much work and would still yield little increase in media capacity.

So I though, why use the baskets? They are only there to seporate the media and for ease of cleaning for the standard consumer. They are also to help with the air purging as well...

The modification that I have done has increased the bio capacity from 5.9L to 12 Liters or more. This is with 4" of mechanical foam. This increases to about 14 Liters when using only 3" of foam.

I use 4" of foam so I only have about 12L of bio media.

This modification is good for a few things.

1. ) Increase bio media capacity. Possibly around 12-15L
2. ) Decrease velocity of water flow for more contact time with bio media
3. ) Large area for flow which decreases the flow restriction.
4. ) Should help increase flow output since the water only has to change direction ONCE instead of THREE times.
5. ) Cleaning should be even easier and you will not need to remove bio media to clean the spunges like you had to before.
6. ) Eliminate about 5 possible warn o-ring issues
7. ) Original Foam blocks don't seal as nice as I would have liked to the basket above.
8. ) Increase the time between change intervals. In original form if you had fine filter foam in the center baskets, they could clog up real quick causing a drastic decrease in flow and lots of cavitation of the impeller and you would get LOTS of air bubbles everywhere. Should be able to use fine filter pads for longer periods of time.
9. ) Due to the decrease in flow resistance, hopfully this will help with the cavitation problem in the Fx5.

I may think of more reasons but so far this seems REALLY good.

Here are some updated figures;

Unmodified Fluval Fx5 Stats
Media Capacity: 5.9 Liters (im going to measure this since I think its wrong too..)
Mech capacity: 294 sq in; 369 cu in; 6 Liters
Measured Flow Rate: 525 GPH
Max Head Height: 3.3m (10.8ft)
Filtration Volume: 11.2 (Hagen says 20L. I call BS)

Modified Fluval Fx5 Stats.
Media Capacity: 12 - 14+ liters. (Depends on depth of mechanical filtration)
Mech Capacity: Est 108 sq in surface area. 325 cubic inches; 5.3 L (2" prefilter foam and 1" fine filter foam.)
Filtration Volume: 19.3L
Measured Flow Rate: ??

Ehiem Statistics
Eheim 2080 Media Capacity: 12 liters
Eheim 2080 Estimated Mech Capacty: 1.5L; 92 cu in
Measured Unmodded 2080 Flow: 318 GPH
Max Head Height: 2.2m (6.6ft)
Unmodded Filtration Volume: 13.5 L

Construction
The new design needed to be carefully thought out. I wanted the increased in bio capacity but also wanted a good amount of mechanical filtration. I wanted to increase area for increase in flow as well as an increase in volume for increase in media. I had to design it so the air purging could still work the way it should which took some rethinking and redesigning.

I used egg crate as seporation trays instead of the baskets and I order sheets of foam and custom cut them to fit for a 100% bypass free seal.

Im using Bio Bale as my bio media instead of the Fluval Bio Max which I have had great success with. The bio max would be way to expensive for the amount I need compaired to the bio bale which has TONS of surface area.

I had to keep the intake pipe submerged in water while the pump shuts off so the purging can work the way it should. I did not want the air to travel back through the intake. Only wanted it to go through the output. So I had to make a "pocket" for the intake pipe to sit into. This will also allow for a 180 degree dispersion of the water intake flow.

I had to lower the top tray to keep an inch of gap at the top surface so water can flow. Otherwise the top cover will seal against the spunge. Now the filter holds about 11.9 liters of bio media. I could cut the 2" spunge in half and get back up to 13.7 liters but I think it will work just fine.

As large as the Fx5 looks, the inside doesn't have much space to work with

Here is how I setup the egg crate.

In the pictures above you don't see the pocket I made out of a 3" PVC cap that I cut to a snug fit with my band saw.

More information can be found here.
http://www.fishforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/19756-fluval-fx5-modification-7.html#post185679

Most of what you need to know is on this forum though.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
How can I edit my posts? I can't seem to find the feature and would like to do so....

Here is the flow path. I posted some of these pictuers in another thread which I should have just started this thread so sorry for posting the pictures twice.

I had to modify the top cover to allow the canister to purge 100% through the OUTPUT. I used some Acrylic, Silicone (temp adheasive) and a small piece of 3" PVC in the center so all the air collects and gets pushed out through the small tube. The Acrylic I heated up in the oven for about 1-2 minutes so I could form it. It was only warm enough to form with some resistance, not enough for the acrylic to become droopy.

Recent updates is that the silicone released from the canisters housing so the tray is no longer supported correctly but it was mainly for a temporary hold anyways just incase the mod did not work at all. I will use some Weld-On 10 possibly and make it more perminent.

The silicone on the cover also failed so the same thing will happen with that.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
The filter has been running since 4/05/2008 and it has been filtering great, untill recently which after I get some Weld On 10 it will work great once again.

100 micron polishing pad in the filter turned black but at a velocity of 0.6" of water column passing through the micron pad every second, there is not to much of a restriction so the pad can stay in much longer.

---XR---

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pa
sticky...:)

and great work

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Thanks!

It took me a little over a month to figure out how I needed to do it. It was not as "easy" to think about as I thought once I got deeper and deeper into the theory of pumps and the design of the canister.

I will be purchasing perferated PVC sheet for a seporation tray instead of the egg crate. It will look nicer and will last longer. I will keep you all informed :)

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Could a Moderator move this thread to the DIY Section?

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Picture of the output im using. This is the GREAT and works fantastic.

geph

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
In my AE86
Man that sounds so much better and alot more easier to maintain. Why couldn't I think of that. You should tell fluval about your idea, you never know they could use your idea for a new filter and call it the fx6, and get a certain percentage.

Tilapia Buttikoferi

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2008
Provo, UT
That's what I call thinking outside the canister ;) Awesome work man I wish I could even afford an FX5. My 404 works just fine for now I guess..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store