Fluval Fx5 Modification.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Im sure if I presented this to them they would "redesign" it so it would have nothing to do with my idea which means....if I had a chance before getting a percentage, that would go out the window.

I have thought about buying Fx5s for real cheap some where and moddifing them and selling them for more but I wouldn't make much and the ending price would probubly be around $300-350.

rasa92re

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
New York
So, any updates JGray? Has anyone else tried this on their FX5. I would love to but I am a bit strapped for cash now and wouldn't be able to replace it.

bigboss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2011
Baja, Mexico
Hey Justin, i'm thinking of doing this conversion fto my three days old Fx5. However i wonder what happens to the activated Carbon in your set up?? You got rid of it completely. isn't it an essential product to perform the filtration??

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Carbon is not an essential part of filtration. It is only required when colour and odour is present or post-medical treatment.

bigboss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2011
Baja, Mexico
Spiritofthesoul;5015455; said:
Carbon is not an essential part of filtration. It is only required when colour and odour is present or post-medical treatment.
Cool. However i'm curious about what would be the routine if i get oddors in the tank (actually i have that problem since one week ago)??

Miguel4u2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
New York
Yea, pictures are gone, this is a oldish thread after all

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Hi all,

The filter works great, I never did completely finish the cover so it doesn't purge 100% but its still quiet and filters great.

I have discovered that using silicone to fill in thick areas will not work as the silicone will not "dry" completely on the inside. A 2 part mix of silicone or something may need be used. Explained more in the link below.

Odd the pics are not working. If you go here http://www.stoneteknh.com/fx5/internalmod.html you can see some pics. I'll try to get others loaded.

As for carbon, I suppose you could get a large filter bag, add a bunch of carbon to it and add it as a separate layer in the filtration.

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Hi,

are there any pics of this? none work and it is hard to see what your meaning through the text.

Also i noticed that this mod was made in 2008, it is now 2013, have fluval made any changes to the 2013 canisters to improve them working>? I am a bit jubious purchasing one if they dont work straight out of the packet, i have no issue modding as long as there is a guide!!

thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store