How to get the most out of a FX5!!!!

Datnoid101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Off the deep end
tigercraze.com
I own 5 Fluval FX5's and have found that self plumbing them gives you more water pressure and overall suberb circulation.
First off, you'll need 3/4" pvc, a few elbows, end caps, and Lee's heater holder suction cups. You will also need some tools including a powerdrill and a chop saw. You can improvise if needed but this what I used with easy and satisfactory results. Go ahead and measure the height of the tank and width inside and also account for the elbow and the endcap. This should be in a shape of and L. This will be your intake. Go ahead and measure cuts in the bottom pvc. I used inch half widths. Next go ahead and measure a shorter L which will be used for the spray bar. Go ahead and drill your holes. No need for pvc cement unless your extremely worried even though it will all be under water. Next is the beauty of this. The pvc fits snug in the stock FX5 rubber hose! The Lee's heater holders fit perfect on the 3/4" pvc. Heres a few pics.

I recommend putting them both on the same side and angling your spray bar slightly up. This will effectively break water and add aeration and will preform a full circle of circulation. This will push all waste on the bottom straight into the intake. I've drained my tank while leaving the filter on and can view the water from the spray bar shoot the length of a 5-6 foot tank. Now thats an improvement!
You can also mod your Rena filstar canisters.

Lrry93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
I get around
Nice to finally see what you have been talking about.

Does it suck up the sand in the 1st pic?

Datnoid101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Off the deep end
tigercraze.com
Lrry93;1969817; said:
Nice to finally see what you have been talking about.

Does it suck up the sand in the 1st pic?
No sand. Its bubbles from the hose coming back into the tank. I would imagine it would easily suck up substrate. If you run substrate I would advise on raising the intake bar off the ground a little. But then again, that does make it a little less effective at removing particles off the bottom.

Lrry93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
I get around
sinister j;1969823; said:
No sand. Its bubbles from the hose coming back into the tank. I would imagine it would easily suck up substrate. If you run substrate I would advise on raising the intake bar off the ground a little. But then again, that does make it a little less effective at removing particles off the bottom.
OOOH, Its a painted bottom. I thought it was black sand. Nevermind ignore me.
Nice work Dat boy!

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
that is pretty cool, it was hard enough for me to find 1" PVC never mind 3/4" lol.

So I have 1 intake and two 1" pvc returns in the corners.

StripeGirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
Boston, MA
already beat you too it,I plumbed mine in monthes ago :}.i did it with two fx5's.The current is incredible and yes my intakes are high up because of the suction power.

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
hotfishgirls;1969970; said:
already beat you too it,I plumbed mine in monthes ago :}.i did it with two fx5's.The current is incredible and yes my intakes are high up because of the suction power.
Actually I am pretty sure jay did this a long time ago, he is just sharing now...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store