How to get the most out of a FX5!!!!

spexmoneymaker

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2007
nj
any clue on how many inches i should have it off the sand to still make it effective? it is the heavier pool filter sand. also i would like to know how many/what size holes. thanks

aquatic_wonders

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2007
SOCAL
wow that is pressure.

Datnoid101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Off the deep end
tigercraze.com
spexmoneymaker;1996998; said:
any clue on how many inches i should have it off the sand to still make it effective? it is the heavier pool filter sand. also i would like to know how many/what size holes. thanks
Depending on what type of fish you have as they tend to kick up sand easily I would lift it 2-4" up. The size and spacing for the holes are posted above. As for the intake, I just used a chop saw and made cuts about every half inch

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
Cool! Good idea! I would have painted the PVC in the tank black though., or used grey plastic (PVC) electrical conduit.

Datnoid101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Off the deep end
tigercraze.com
Knowdafish;1999290; said:
Cool! Good idea! I would have painted the PVC in the tank black though., or used grey plastic (PVC) electrical conduit.
Electrical conduit sucks. My dats would destroy that. I thought about painting the pvc black but didnt know which paint would work. Besides my collection is not worth losing if the paint leeches anything. Also the paint would get scraped of by my fish.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Yes! Another Fx5 fan!

You should search for the Fx5 Modification thread I made. You may like it.

Also, adding pressure in the output lines is not good. That will slow your intake down.

The point of plumbing your self is to reduce the overall pressure for more flow.

Im trying to remember is the piping is 1" ID or OD..... on the fx5...

Datnoid101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Off the deep end
tigercraze.com
Jgray152;2005037; said:
Yes! Another Fx5 fan!

You should search for the Fx5 Modification thread I made. You may like it.

Also, adding pressure in the output lines is not good. That will slow your intake down.

The point of plumbing your self is to reduce the overall pressure for more flow.

Im trying to remember is the piping is 1" ID or OD..... on the fx5...
My intake runs just fine. I've had over 60 dats in a 120g and almost all were over 6" and nothing stays on the bottom. Besides current pushes everything directly into intake. The inner diameter is 3/4 I think. Outside 1". The hardware store just has is labeled 3/4.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
My intake runs just fine. I've had over 60 dats in a 120g and almost all were over 6" and nothing stays on the bottom. Besides current pushes everything directly into intake. The inner diameter is 3/4 I think. Outside 1". The hardware store just has is labeled 3/4.
Im sure the intake works fine but the total flow output may have slowed down. Thats all im saying. Which it may not have either. The only way to tell is to put a flow meter on the system

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store