floating driftwood?

I3u11he4d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Michigan
I have a few pieces of cedar root drift wood that have been soaking for about a month and there are no signs of sinking.Does anyone have any ideas.

I3u11he4d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Michigan
Brilliant............sometimes the easiest solutionzs are the simpliest

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
:ROFL: Wait for it to petrify... :ROFL:

illustrae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
NewHampshire, USA
I've siliconed some of mine to sheets of plexiglass (it was surprisingly cheaper than slate at the time) and burried them under the gravel, but I've also used super-duty black suction cups and tied fishing line around the nubs on them, then stuck them to the bottom fo the tank. Then put the gravel in, then position the wood over the suction cup and tie the fishing line around it. It usually take more than one tie-down per piece of wood, but it's an invisible way to keep the wood down.

cmersits

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
Yorktown, New York
All I did to mine was use aquarium silicone (be sure not to use other types of silicone) and glued the driftwood and a piece of slate together. Let it cure for 24 or 48 hrs (not sure how long, it says on the bottle of silicone). when you put in the tank you can burry the slat in the gravel or have it showing, w/e floats your boat.... or sinks your driftwood in that case ;)

cmersits

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
Yorktown, New York
oh I also dont recommend used screws or nails to get the driftwood down because certain metal that dissolve into the water can cause problems

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

There are a few things to consider:
1) Is it really driftwood, or is it a piece of dead wood that never saw water before? To be suitable for aquarium use, wood should have spent a significant period of time (years) in a flowing body of water or in a swamp. Anything else will have a hard time getting waterlogged and it will also rot, greatly affecting your water quality.
2) conifers are not the best wood for a tank, since they leach more compounds than deciduous trees.
3) if you go for the slate option then make sure you use stainless steel screws.
4) I tied mine down with fishing line, weighing it down with rocks tied to its bottom. Do not pile rocks on your wood, since it might pop up to float and the rocks fall against the sides of your tank. Depending on the depth of your tank and the buoyancy of the wood, it might even hit your canopy

Good luck,
HarleyK

lgcichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
alabama
I've always used slate but some of mine floats and I want it to....I have a six foot long, hollowed out beautiful piece that's in my 150 gallon (6 ft tank)...LOL...that was a real challenge to put in....floater, and it really adds nice shading and looks great....

IMG_0016 (2).JPG

IMG_0237.gif

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store