floating driftwood?

I3u11he4d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Michigan
Thanks for the input evryone.I know for sure that it is cedar root and that it has not been in water until now.Harleyk do you know it this would be a problem other than the decomposing part.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
lgcichlids said:
I've always used slate but some of mine floats and I want it to....I have a six foot long, hollowed out beautiful piece that's in my 150 gallon (6 ft tank)...LOL...that was a real challenge to put in....floater, and it really adds nice shading and looks great....
Very sweet

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Honestly, I'd try to find another piece:

1) Cedar releases aromatic compounds into your tank, even if it doesn't smell like cedar anymore.

2) You'll have a constant rotting process going on in your tank. Not only does that increase the pollutants in your tank, it might also affect the fish (I wouldn't want to live in a house with mold)

3) You'll have a hard time sinking that puppy ...

It might work short term, but chances are you'll run into trouble sooner rather than later.

I always collect my driftwood from rivers when I go canoeing. Marine driftwood from a beach would work as well. Just two ideas for a fun weekend activity combined with driftwood harvest (once it gets warmer)

HarleyK

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Cedar is an aromatic and leaches cedar oils, it can kill inverts and discourages bacterial reproduction. I don't know what it does to fish but I would avoid using it in a tank.

I3u11he4d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Michigan
Thanks harley and guppy that is what I was looking for.I guess Ill just have to trash it,O well.,..... :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store