I'm with Sharp Knife removing Fungus from my Turtle bottom shell.

DevilMind

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Pakistan
Hi,
My Turtle is FAMILY: TRIONYCHIDAE (Softshell Turtles) Indian Flapshell Turtle (Lissemys punctata andersoni).

My Turtle's age is 4-5 years old & its Single Female.

Here are the Pics of Turtle, Fungus, Shell Rot, Tools & Removed Fungus which i did my self:
http://yfrog.com/b74removedfungusfrombottojx

As you can see in my pics my Turtle's bottom shell got fungus so i Search net & came across this link site:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/turtshellrot.htm

Please tell me am i doing Ok?

how to cure Top Shell part?? because i don't want to peal off Top Shell skin...or is their no other way for it???

What i did is

1. Swab the infected area of the shell with a diluted povidone-iodine solution(the one in my Pic).
2. Gently scrape away the infected area with a blunt tool like a butter knife, but later i Used Sharp Knife as in my Pics. which made it easier to peal off fungus.
3. Swab the area with the dilute povidone-iodine solution again.
4. washed Top & Bottom Shell with Bath soap (to remove povidone-iodine solution).
5. Treat the infected & Pealed off Area with an antibiotic ointment (see my Pic), and now i didn't left my turtle in Aquarium. It will stay & sleep with me on my Bed under blankets (dry & warm place that is).

Please guide me what should i do next??
Should i Use same technique to remove Rest of the fungus from bottom shell also???

What about Top Shell??? i don't want my Turtle to Die.

How i got this turtle?
Well my aunt passed away & after one month of her death her cousin (my aunt's cousin) gave this turtle to me.
Because my Aunt was alone she had this pet turtle & no one in family knows how to take care of it & what to feed it.

I got this turtle 3 weeks ago (16th August 2009). it only had one small mark on its Top Shell & these fungus in small amount on Bottom Shell.
As you can see After my aunt's death no one knew how to care for this turtle for 40 days & they put every food in its tank & it ate nothing. After 40 days i took care of the Turtle.

What i bought for turtle?
i tried Apples, bananas, bread, peaches & it eats nothing.
It only eats boiled chicken, boiled fish & small pieces of Non-cooked chopped fish.
it Does NOT eat turtle food grains also.

i bought Aquarium, Water filter & water Bubble maker (what is this thing called by the way & what is it for?)

Please guys help me.
this is the 1st time i will be taking care of a water animal ( i had cat 4 years ago).
i don't want this turtle to die because it is the only pet my aunt had. and she passed away last month.

Thanks in Advance,
waiting for your Help & Response.

Regards,
Rehan Butt
+92 344 455 4422

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
OK first of thanks for your detailed report on your turtle, its origin, feeding habits, photos,etc wich makes my job much more easier, I hope every one that would come in here with their pets sick asking for help would do half of what you´ve don, you deserve a A for that already:D:D Second your turtle for the photos you so helpfully posted isnt sick with a fungus, at most its a bit of bacteria, what you taken out with alot of skill and that I also do here with a needle (dont try, your tecnike its good) its necrotic bonne (dead bonne) wich apears to be a bit infected but nothing serious, however the bacteria didnt cause the bonne to become infected(in wich case you would see a extra of simptoms such as redness across the injurys and also you would see infections on the skin as well) the bacterias colonized already damaged and dead tissue, the reason for the injurys I beleave was due probably for the large change in your turtle life wich probably caused her to be transported in like a bugget full of water, in that circunstances the simple trashing of her against the walls of the buget its enough to cause that injurys wich then cause the tissue bellow to die and form thouse crusts. You did proced really well in removing the dead tissue and you have green ligth to do just the same thing in the plastron. Before you go ahead however here a few more gidding tools for you do such job sucessfully: make shure that the bonne its dead and preferably loose from the healty skin, if not dont interfere, wait for the turtle to fully regect the bonne and then go ahead, otherwise it can cause a wound that bleeds and that can cause furter trobble (however sometimes in injurys much worser then your turtle´s the bonne its so infected that me or the vets do have to go into the healty tissue in order to save the turtle but happely thats not your case) and also dont use very strong desinfectants, this is a softshell turtle, stuff like alcool can burn their skin, betadine its ok to use in the wound but I would give the turtle a water rinse to avoid it to become painfull after a few minutes of contact. However your tecnike in the overal its OK.
Also your sleeping on the bed with your turtle isnt necessary, she will get alone perfecty fine, get a big soft bin and cuddle your turtle with soft blankets, but that only after the day she has her plastron cleaned, if she doesant have any bleeding wound she can go back to the water the next day. Speaking of that your turtle should for now probably housed in a quarentine tank big enough for her to be confortable but small enough for you to be able to change her water daily with ease wich will be necessary to avoid furter infection. Get also a soft sandy botom wich is really confortable for her. Because this guys are scape artists maybe it would be better for you to allow her to dry a copple of hours a day in that same bin she slept with the blankets insted of giving a basking spot. We will start with this and then see. And yes this guys are completly carnivorus and only eat in the water. Because your relling on raw foods here is a few tips on feeding softys: dont give big chunky fish (in comparison to her size that is) or big chunks of meat, part in smaller bits the meat and give fillets of fish if they are big in small bits, better 2 times a day then one big porcion to increase digestion, also give woule small fish (guppys raised by yourself), earthworms, spiders, grasshopers, snails, shrimp, crayfish,etc, wich are really important because of vitamins and minerals.

DevilMind

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Pakistan
thanks man.
you mean the bottom rusty part on my turtle is just Dried Bone & nothing else??
so i should not take off the rmaining rusty bone OR STILL have to take it off to keep my turtle healthy???

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
DevilMind;3434042; said:
thanks man.
you mean the bottom rusty part on my turtle is just Dried Bone & nothing else??
Yup
so i should not take off the rmaining rusty bone OR STILL have to take it off to keep my turtle healthy???
You can do both but I would take it out because as you much likely already felt it releases a foul smell once out wich indicates bacteria growth, it would fall of by itself anyway but it seems more then ready to come of so why not give nature a hand? It will also make it heal much faster, eventualy it will become much smooder like the rest of the shell.
Now I would like to tell you the more apropriate way for you to house your turtle in the long term with minimum energy and work by your part. If you have the space to do so there is nothing like housing your turtle outdoors in a big pond. Also You should if possible try to find her several both sexes partners of the same species if the enclosure is big enough for all. Finely you have a female turtle and that is important because sooner or later she will ovulate with or without a male around and during that period its crucial that she has a space avaible to lay her eggs and thats also a point for the pond argument because that will make her job much easier wille indoors its much more tricky. Also Lissemys produce hard but very fragile round eggs and if by any circunstances a egg gets bloked or worse breaks inside her its bye bye turt and this is something Lissemys are very prone to, if you can make it all natural it would be so much better for the turtle. That would also free you because you wouldnt have to feed her regulary or control filters, etc. Of corse a good scape proof fence its a must:)

DevilMind

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Pakistan
well my turtle IS ALWAYS running in my house here and there always want to explore the house.
and on my home roof top i got some Gravel and Crushed Stones. and this turtle always digs into it... does this means it wants to lay eggs??

one more thing i that. ponds are very far away atleast 6 hours drive away from my home. actually not ponds, they are rivers. i heard these turtle can be found their. but if i leave it in wild will it survive by its self??

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
DevilMind;3434670; said:
well my turtle IS ALWAYS running in my house here and there always want to explore the house.
and on my home roof top i got some Gravel and Crushed Stones. and this turtle always digs into it... does this means it wants to lay eggs??

one more thing i that. ponds are very far away atleast 6 hours drive away from my home. actually not ponds, they are rivers. i heard these turtle can be found their. but if i leave it in wild will it survive by its self??
Ok you got me stumped on a dilema here. First of let me say that your free roaming of your turtle in your house its unfornatly totaly unsuitable for its care, she is "exploring" because she is serching for a big permanent body of water, this are soft shell turtles and they need to be 80% of time submerged except when they bask or go serch for a place to lay their eggs. My pond argument was for you to put her in a pond you owned or to build one if you had the space, not to release her back to the wild, it was a more suitable envoirement for her insted of a fish tank. If you cant have a pond you do really need a at least 5 foot fish tank for her, having her roaming your house its no way of "housing" her, actualy it could very well be the culprid for the injurys that brough you here in the first place. However if you cant have a suitable home for her it maybe would be more kind to simply let her go in one of thouse rivers wich you can do because this turtle is native from your area, there is no injection involved in the injurys wich could pass to the other wild turtles and yes she can adapt in a day or 2 to her new home, turtles are instinct based creatures, no problem at all.

DevilMind

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Pakistan
i got 2.5 feet by 1 foot (2.5 x 1 feet OR 30 Inch x 12 Inch) fish tank made for it now. & my turtle shell size is 8 Inches. i can swim in it easily.
As i told you before i never had water animal before, i'm doing all i can to keep it healthy & happy. I don't know much about turtles either.

-plz tell me how many tiles should i feed it everyday or week??
-tell me how much time of each day 24hrs it should be kept in water & out of water?
-today i will buy UVA & UVB lights for the Fish tank so how much time hould it be turned On for it??

DevilMind

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Pakistan
i meant "IT CAN SWIM IN IT EASILY".
this forum has no option of re-edit the post if made any typing mistake earlier.

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
DevilMind;3436748; said:
i got 2.5 feet by 1 foot (2.5 x 1 feet OR 30 Inch x 12 Inch) fish tank made for it now. & my turtle shell size is 8 Inches. i can swim in it easily.
If possible you should increase the enclosure size as much as you can and as deep as you can. Turtles arent picky, any conteiner that is not hard or corrosive, something like pvc, stock tanks, ruber tanks will sufice. Remenbar that your turtle still has growth to do and this is one of the most active turtles.
As i told you before i never had water animal before, i'm doing all i can to keep it healthy & happy. I don't know much about turtles either.
Thats why Im here for:D
-plz tell me how many tiles should i feed it everyday or week??
Feed every other day in 2 small doses.
-tell me how much time of each day 24hrs it should be kept in water & out of water?
That is of your turtle will. Thats why you need a bigger tank so that you can put like a big log inside it without taking to much space so your turtle can bask and get out of the water at its will. You will also need a egg laying area out of the water filled with moist sand allways avaible for your turtle.
-today i will buy UVA & UVB lights for the Fish tank so how much time hould it be turned On for it??
12 hours a day however I dont know what you have there avaible or how it can be instaled, so make shure it is designed for use in reptiles and of a good brand. Dont forget also safety precausions
Ok

DevilMind

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Pakistan
i thing i can across is that. my turtle is not Pooping(****ing) anymore for last 4 days.
what is it happening?
-i was till now feeding it boiled chicken & fish 3 times a day.
-my turtle never wants to stay in water. even if its warm water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store