800g ply catfish growout tank

garhog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
california
started new plywood tank over the holiday weekend. the tank will be used to growout my catfish and any other fish that outgrow my other tanks. the tank will be setup on my back patio since it has a nice solid concrete slab to sit on and a cover over it. although it does take up about half of the space out there. this is my first ply tank build and have plans to build another lager tank for the cats since i only figure on them lasting a year to a year and a half in there before they outgrow it. I enjoy building things myself and upgrading so building a huge one from the start didnt make sense to me plus everything i learn from this i can apply to the next one. anyway the tank dimesion will be around 96"x48"x41" or 800g swimming area it will also have a built in filter area of about 16"x48"x41" built into it. the overall outside dims are 120"x56"xaround50".here are a few pics of the progress from this weekend.

tank 004.jpg

tank 010.jpg

tank 011.jpg

tank 015.jpg

kallmond

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2009
Hanover, PA
I hope you're putting a window into the tank to match the sliding glass door you're covering. How cool to look out your door to see your fish :)

Great start! I hope it gets finished!

dragonsong

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
PA
Looks like you have a very good start! Nice tortoise btw. :cool:

Glasman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2009
Kentucky
Sweet. I wish i had the kind of weather year round to do something like that. Is that a sulcata tortise?

CJH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
*Confidential*
garhog;3665668; said:
the tank will be setup on my back patio since it has a nice solid concrete slab to sit on and a cover over it. although it does take up about half of the space out there. anyway the tank dimesion will be around 96"x48"x41" or 800g
I would be willing to give up half my patio for that.

Have you checked to see how thick your slab is and how it's reinforced? I know in my area patio slabs don't have the same requirements as the slab for the house itself. With that much height you have a lot of weight concentrated in a small area and a possibility of cracks.

It looks beefier than mine for sure but I'd double check.

garhog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
california
there will be a window but it will face outward. for some reason the house was built with two slider side by side the one blocked by the tank is blocked by a couch on the inside have thought about getting rid of the couch for that reason but I'm the only one in house who thinks it would be cool

garhog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
california
yes it is a sulcata he was very interested in the build the bricks on the patio are to keep him off because he like to take his morning dump on my sandals. i had them moved for a few minutes and he climed up on the tank to inspect. and to respond CJH my brother does concrete for a living he is also helping with the framing said it was good the only problem with with the patio well not really a problem as much as a hurdle is that they are poured with a certian amount of drop for drainage so i had to miter a wedge out of every floor support to make the tank sit level wont be very noticable when finished. thanks all for the positive responses everyone here is some more pics of mortoise the tortoise, chum dozer my rtc a future inhabitant, and the filter chamber starting to take shape with the weir visible at top right

tank 020.jpg

tank 032.jpg

tank 025.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store