800g ply catfish growout tank

catfish dan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2007
cornwall great briton
Loving your build its so great to see so many people on this forum that have such a love for there fish and do anything for them, Iv nown a lot of people over hear in the uk that have kept rtc in such small tanks iv fallen out with people over this and manajed to get my local fish shop to stop selling them and othe large fish unless some one requests it and they can proov they can house it Sorry rant over.
Good to see yours and many other on hear and cant wait to see the finished product a huge thumbs up to you :)

garhog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
california
catfish dan;3668458; said:
Loving your build its so great to see so many people on this forum that have such a love for there fish and do anything for them, Iv nown a lot of people over hear in the uk that have kept rtc in such small tanks iv fallen out with people over this and manajed to get my local fish shop to stop selling them and othe large fish unless some one requests it and they can proov they can house it Sorry rant over.
Good to see yours and many other on hear and cant wait to see the finished product a huge thumbs up to you :)
thanks!!! I agree with you on that there easy to get and are available in large numbers around here in almost every lfs I have been to and it sucks because I know very few of them will get a proper home. rtc's are a really great mine is really starting to grow on me literally. luckily I got most of the materialsfor the build before the fish but still racing to get er done

garhog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
california
got home from work tonight and one of the bulbs in my reef tank burned out so I had to take a trip to the lfs my regular store didn't have it so I had to go to another was cruzin the fw section and found a 20 gallon tank with at least 15 or more baby rtc's all sickly looking and all had severe gill curl. it was a very sad sight. and I remembered why even though they have the largest selection a nicest store in the area I only shop there in an emergency situation and even felt bad about that

garhog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
california
sorry to say wasn't able to make any progress this weekend ended up working on sat and had to wrap the entire project in tarps due to the rain. anyway have three day weekend coming up so hoping weather will be good so I can make up for lost time. got a price on glass today $752.00 for a 93x36 x1inches two ply tempered laminate.not sure if that a good price or not. Im pretty sure it is overkill but since it will be outdoor u never know what the kids might bang on it

kallmond

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2009
Hanover, PA
I think I read somewhere that for this application lamanate glass is only as good as 1 of the layers. I could be wrong, I don't claim to be a glass expert. Did the guy you called know it was for an aquarium?

garhog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
california
from what I understand u use two layers of glass that would be strong enough to hold on there own so if one fails the other would hold don't know if that is what your refering to though. the information I got was from a company that does pool windows they have a formula you figure out then a chart to referece to. I think it setup for a safety factor of 10 not a 100 percent though. its a bit excessive but u never know I might get sloppy with the gauge when I'm doing predetor control. lol. anyway if anybody is interested I can post the website

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Garhog - you're correct, two ply tempered laminate is generally sized so that one of the sheets is strong enough, as laminating the two will not make it twice as strong. 1/2" tempered safety glass is more than strong enough for a 36" window, and $750 for a pane that size is a reasonable price, given it's specialty nature.

Having said that, 3/4" plate glass would be similarly effective, and quite reistant to impacts, but not quite as damage resistant as the laminate.

3/4" Polycarbonate sheet might be another possibility for you. It will scratch more easily, but it will have better clarity, and absolutely will not crack, no matter what happens to it.

smpage

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2007
Idaho Falls
Looks fantastic! Looks like the plumbing for filtration is going to be very professionally done. I'll definitely be following this thread.

Glasman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2009
Kentucky
Isnt a piece of 1" lami, 2 pieces of 7/16" glass and a 1/8" sheet of plastic in the middle? I know our 1/2" lami at work is 2 pieces of 3/16 glass and a sheet of 1/8" plastic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store