240 gallon set up

zebvance

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
College Station TX
Hey guys, (first real post so take it easy on me..)
So I have a few questions and any input would be helpful. I just got a 240 gallon tank 96"x24"x25". I'm going back and forth as far as filtration and heating. First off, as far as the filtration goes, I know I'm going to get 2 24X48 under gravel filters. But, for the main filtration I cant make up my mind what to go with. I was thinking about the FX5 and maybe a home made sump. Now as far as the heating goes, from what i have researched i need around 800 watts of heating power. Should i go with on titanium heater or maybe 4 200 watt glass heaters. I have been reading some post and some of y'all say multiple heaters in case one gets stuck they don't boil your fish. Also, as you should be able to see from the pic's there is a support bar on the top of the tank that is broken. the guy i bought the tank from said that he call the manufacture and they told him to jut get a new piece of glass cut and silicone it on there and camp it for 48 hours. But what I don't know is, What kind of silicone to use? and is there something that dissolves silicone or something to get the old broken glass off the good glass. I was thinking that it should he a fairly easy inexpensive fix. Any pointer's would be great. This is my second tank and first one it the "big" category. Also any body that has a tank this size pics would be awsome so I can see you setup too. this is what i plan on stocking the tank with...

1 Zebra Oscar (Where can i get one?)
1 Albino Oscar 13"
1 Common pleco 12"
1 Fire Eel
1 Lima Shovel-Nosed Catfish

S5030940.JPG

S5030941.JPG

S5030942.JPG

zebvance

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
College Station TX
Sry Guys this posted twice due to my internet being crappy

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
I personally would kill the undergravel filter. They are so outdated and unnesessary IMO. An fx5 along with another canister filled w/ biomedia would work, ultimately a 40g sump with a Magdrive 18 pump on it would be great. You could probably lower the heaters a bit if you wanted to. You are in TX so its not that cold. I run 500watts on my 300g and I'm in New Jersey. In the summer I unplug the heaters and the heat generated from the pump keeps the tank at 80degrees

zebvance

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
College Station TX
jsodwi;3670556; said:
I personally would kill the undergravel filter. They are so outdated and unnesessary IMO. An fx5 along with another canister filled w/ biomedia would work, ultimately a 40g sump with a Magdrive 18 pump on it would be great. You could probably lower the heaters a bit if you wanted to. You are in TX so its not that cold. I run 500watts on my 300g and I'm in New Jersey. In the summer I unplug the heaters and the heat generated from the pump keeps the tank at 80degrees

Thanks great to know that will save me some money on the heaters. So you say i should go with 2 canister filters. what do you suggest for the other one?

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
I have used an fx5 and you can get a lot of bio media in it so I would run that filled with bioballs or ceramic rings and throw one or 2 of the pads that it comes with inside to keep some of the sludge down. As far as the other filter, I would look for a used Ocean Clear canister I heard they are real good for the mechanical aspect of your filter. Me personally, I would just build a wet dry if you don't have any filters already. Find yourself a used tank( 55g are everywhere for dirt cheap) build it out of that.. There are some great designs on MFK and plenty of people to help you out. A Mag18 pump is under $150 and either get the tank drilled or buy a hang on back overflow box they are under $100 for a good one. So for less money you would spend on 2 canisters, you will have filtration that works way better

indiana.dutton

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2009
Connecticut
Lookin good, zebra oscars are usually carried at chain stores if you lfs does not have ant

zebvance

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
College Station TX
I think i might go with both then. The FX5 and a 40 gallon sump

svtim

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
The VILLE
i run two fx5s and a 405 on my 265 gal but im way overstocked. and i havent used under gravel for several years now and im in KY tank is in basement and i only run 500 watts of heat. you should use aquarium silicone to replace the panel. and last but not least remember water weighs about 8 pounds a gallon so make sure its on a sturdy and level surface (take you're time)

zebvance

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
College Station TX
svtim;3671632; said:
i run two fx5s and a 405 on my 265 gal but im way overstocked. and i havent used under gravel for several years now and im in KY tank is in basement and i only run 500 watts of heat. you should use aquarium silicone to replace the panel. and last but not least remember water weighs about 8 pounds a gallon so make sure its on a sturdy and level surface (take you're time)

Yup, Already work out how much the water is going to weigh. It's close to 2000 pounds then gravel is about 300 so I am starting on the stand this weekend hopefully and making it able to handle 3000 or so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store