New 300 acrylic tank. Help!!!

those1

Candiru
MFK Member
May 4, 2008
Sandusky, OH
So I just bought a 300 gallon acrylic (summer project) tank. It's a lil rough and I need your help. Lets take this one step at a time. The first thing I need to do is clean this tank up. I'm not afraid to use chemicals in it since it will have plenty of time to evaporate and i plan on a few water fill ups before I move it into the house. What do you guys suggest to fully clean this inside and out. The next step is to try and buff out the marks and scratches in the tank. I know there is a product out there for this i just cant remember what it is. So these are where I want to start once this is done ill update post pics and ask more questions.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
those1;4210645; said:
So I just bought a 300 gallon acrylic (summer project) tank. It's a lil rough and I need your help. Lets take this one step at a time. The first thing I need to do is clean this tank up. I'm not afraid to use chemicals in it since it will have plenty of time to evaporate and i plan on a few water fill ups before I move it into the house. What do you guys suggest to fully clean this inside and out. The next step is to try and buff out the marks and scratches in the tank. I know there is a product out there for this i just cant remember what it is. So these are where I want to start once this is done ill update post pics and ask more questions.
A water/vinegar mix will clean up the acrylic nicely. Novus makes a product to buff the acrylic. Try getting a hold of a plastics store local to you like "TAP Plastics" and see what they suggest/stock.. GL and post pics. ;)

alexmuw

Feeder Fish
Jul 31, 2009
meow
I am your Savior! JK!

To cleanup, as JK47 said, use white vinegar and white. I would also go a step further. Pickup a "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser" [Make sure it's the eraser with no soap or added scents, you get 2 for like $4]. The Magic Eraser is awesome at cleaning acrylic tanks and getting the Calcium deposits off (Try it, you'll be surprised!)

For the scratches, invest in a good scratch remover (as in the future, you'll be doing this again). A good kit I got was by Lifeguard Aquatics Acrylic Scratch Remover. This kit comes with EVERYTHING, and even comes with instructions on how to remove scratches.

When removing the scratches, expect to spend about 4+ hours on it. The longer you spend on each individual sandpaper grit, the better it will look.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3883

[Don't buy it from BigAl's, as I've read it does not come with everything as advertised]

Good luck and keep us updated! :headbang2:headbang2:headbang2

Reptilesfishbirdsmammals

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
Arizona
hmm idk much about acrylic but if it were me id just wipe it down and rinse it off with soap and what not first then if it doesnt work then id go to chemicals..good luck

fishysocks2012

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2009
San Antonio
like the others said, water and vinegar works best.

Pepito

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
bud;4211985; said:
I used air powered DA sander with 1200 grit sand paper on the bad spots and used a car buffing compound to buff to a high shine
Wow, I'm gonna keep that in mind if I ever find a good deal on an old, ugly acrylic tank. It looks almost new!

those1

Candiru
MFK Member
May 4, 2008
Sandusky, OH
So here are the photos of the tank as it sits. I haven't had time to touch it at all. The 2 cracks on the top have been resealed as you can see. The one on the front the previous owner guarantees me doesn't leak and it doesn't go all the way threw but I plan on using some weld on and a piece of acrylic to patch it. The other pics show all the holes that were drilled into the tank I was given bulk heads to close them but never used them so need your advice. I put the two in for the holes on the side but wasn't sure if the threads go inside or out ( I have it set as out). Also wondering of you have any idea as to what all the holes are for I under stand the two big one's in the over flow boxes but lost on the two smaller ones in there. Also whats up with all the ones outside of the box. Any advice would be great. Hope I got enough pics to satisfy your hunger till after the first washing step. :ROFL:

373.JPG

374.JPG

375.JPG

376.JPG

377.JPG

378.JPG

379.JPG

380.JPG

382.JPG

385.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com