New 300 acrylic tank. Help!!!

dawnmarie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2009
California Delta
www.eddosharbor.com
alexmuw;4211934;4211934 said:
When removing the scratches, expect to spend about 4+ hours on it.
Be prepared to double this number and go easy on the chemicals. :)

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Bulkheads: The bulk head should have three pieces the retaining nut, a rubber gasket, and the bulkhead (threaded piece), Take the nut off and install the bulkhead and the gasked from the inside of your tank going out, then tighten the nut on the outside of the tank. The rubber gasket should be on the inside of the tank (wet) and the nut should be on the outside of the tank (dry).

Yes, you can use one of the holes on the side for quick waterchanges, that's a great idea.

those1

Candiru
MFK Member
May 4, 2008
Sandusky, OH
ok here is a question for all you diy filtration guys. I want to build my sump out of a plastic container. I want to build the sump before I get to the stand so I can make the stand fit the sump. The thing I want to know is how many gallons should I be looking for and secondly where can i obtain one of these plastics crates.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
those1;4230514; said:
ok here is a question for all you diy filtration guys. I want to build my sump out of a plastic container. I want to build the sump before I get to the stand so I can make the stand fit the sump. The thing I want to know is how many gallons should I be looking for and secondly where can i obtain one of these plastics crates.

Any kind of rubber maid container will work. Personally I like to buy used aquariums off of Craig's list and modify them for amazingly efficient sumps. I think a 55 would work for you. Go with a submersible pump and you wont need to drill holes weather or not you go with a container or and old aquarium. Get the largest sump you can fit inside that stand, bigger is better. If your going to DIY a sump try to incorporate a filter sock, you will love the ease of maintenance http://www.marinedepot.com/Filter_Sock_Mechanical_Filter_Media-FIFMMEFS-ct.html

those1

Candiru
MFK Member
May 4, 2008
Sandusky, OH
I got the Novus in just wondering a buddy suggested that I use my car buffer what do you guys think would this work. I was also wondering on the sand paper. I picked up some 600 grit but want some suggestions on the sanding. what am i looking for as a result. what kind of scratches am I looking to sand.

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Yes, car buffer will work and it's a great idea!
That 600 grit paper might be too strong/heavy what ever the word is.
Check out the paint section of HD or some woodworking store and look for their wet sand paper. Get a few different grits and start with the lightest and see how it works until you get the feel. Large scratches you want to sand against the grain until the area turns white. Then go with the next liter grit and sand the other way and make the sanded area a bit larger. Keep that up till you get to the novus 3 step. The buffing step sucks and is the most work IMO. Having the car buffer will really help. I would only concentrate on the outside of the tank. The inside of the tank scratches will disappear when you put water in. At least you will tell your self that after you buff the outside of the tank ;)
Remember almost any scratch will sand/buff out and they sell Novus in 64 ounce bottles!

honda237

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2009
kalamazoo, Michigan
bud;4211985; said:
I used air powered DA sander with 1200 grit sand paper on the bad spots and used a car buffing compound to buff to a high shine

before and afters

Can you please elaborate on how you did this?
what did you use with the car buffing compound?
I am going to be doing a 300g and i need some help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store