The Practice 120

nativecollector

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
Northeast North Carolina
This is my first self built large tank, so I will be looking for the advice of you experienced ones as I go. And I have read all the other articles but you never can tell when you start a DIY project if it will work like someone elses or not.

I dont have pics yet but will take some to post soon. Here is what I have so far

4' x 2' x 2'
all figures are rounded to the nearest $10 mark

3/4" Plywood $40
3/8" glass $80
Misc $20 (this inclues sand paper, drill bit, screw, glue and things of that nature. most of which there is extra of or is reusable)
Resin ?? (not sure which way I am going to go, poly or epoxy)

A little about what I have done with it so far,
There is a screw evey two inches apart starting one inch from the end of each row of screws. I put three screws in each side except the front for a dry run at it. All seemed to fit well.

So I will be gluing the back and two sides to the bottom either today or at least by the end of the week.

Will post pics later today or tomorrow sometime.

Now for the reason I call this one a practice one. At the end of this summer/fall I am adding another 1800 sq ft to my house, 900 sq ft in a 30' x 30' garage with a 900 sq ft room over the top which will have 2 bedrooms and a full bath. The 2 bedrooms and the bath will only take up one half of that whole room, the other half 15' x 30' will be a rec room. This is where I will be building a 8' x 4' x 4' tank. There are alread plans to reinforce the floor where the tank will be with a couple of concrete pillars that will go all the way down into the slab. You could say that this one is well planned out before the construction of the house part was even though about.

Since this is my first post that counts hello all. (even though it is about my fourth of fifth post now.):screwy:

steveprovot

Feeder Fish
Apr 29, 2007
WYANDOTTE, MICHIGAN
for the resin look up the stuff that covers truck beds i will look up the name again but it says on the web page it is aquarium safe and cheap

portabuddy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
mississauga
i herd this stuff is crap for the aquarumes ans should be avoided. it apparently cracks and leaks, then it bubble out in spots and lets the water in behind it, if memory serves correctle mb-barton first used this studd on his tank and tore it down...

jem454

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
buffalo
Dont use bedliner! :WHOA: Many have tried. You will not be able to seal the glass or seems.

Volenti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2007
Australia
Regarding the resin, I'm using epoxy resin on my plywood tank, despite it being considerably more expensive, mainly for the reason that it doesn't smell, is apparently more suitable for continious water immersion and is pretty much ready to use as soon as it's cured, unlike poly resin that stinks for weeks.

nativecollector

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
Northeast North Carolina
I need to get some updated pics going but, I have a silicone question. Where do you find the big tubes of the aquarium safe silicone at. I saw a small tube at lowes today made by DAP, but after reading the limitations, which read not recomended for tanks over 30 gallon or 18" high. So I decided against getting that. Even a internet link would work.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
In the paint dept. at Lowes or Home Depot..."GE Silicone I " Window & Door, NOT II and make sure it doesn't say it has 'BioSeal' on the label. 10.1 fl.oz. $3.97 each. Or try a contractors supply for the really big tubes, but then you have to but a big caulking gun :D .

Keep us posted, looking great so far :headbang2 .

Dr Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store