how to nutritionally enhance those shrimp!

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
we all put heavy emphasis on good water quality to keep our fish in top health, but i feel that NUTRITION is up there with water quality as the most important, in my household i cannot put enough emphasis on good nutrition for my animals, and sometimes i feel a varied diet is enough......

SO......

heres is what i do to nutritionally enhance my foods, specifically the shrimp.

here we go,

take a bag of shrimp

i use this kind since i work in a grocery store, i use to buy it from the seafood department but i found out that they take these bags throw em in hot water to defrost and put them on display for sale, then i buy it, freeze it, and defrost it, and the quality is greatly diminished :irked: so i just buy the bags.

next i guesstimate at how much i need, usually an entire bowl is eaten the same day but sometime i have left overs and feed it the next or following day.

ok time to defrost, alway use cold water, NEVER HOT, you will denature the protein of the shrimp, in other words you alter or destroy the protein of the shrimp and ruin its quality.

and remember always remove those tail spines, i try and get all of them while the waters flowing, but if i miss one or afew i always double check the shrimp during feeding time before i toss it in.

ahhhhh nothing like nicely cleaned and defrosted shrimp! :thumbsup:

ok.......time for the marinade, i use vitachem as my primary, but you can use other suppliments if you like or even combine them for more benifits.

all i do is lightly and evenly squirt the vitachem over each and every shimp

add some garlic for flavor :D i use a half full eye dropper

time to toss it in the fridge. i use saran wrap because its air tight.

cover it up

aaaaaaaand toss it in the fridge for over night marinading :), btw i always to this night before and feed in the afternoon (i go to bed late and wake up about 12 or 1 pm..)

rook45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
new jersey
good informative post del i always used warm water to defrost....now i know

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
nice

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
WHy it helped em :D I was defrosting with HOT water when I was in a hurry :) Thanks !!

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Awesome Del! No wonder she is laying eggs;)

Have you tried to inject that stuff?

KenyanSandBoa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
Massachusetts
Very good post.

Do you think there is a benefit to injection versus marinating? I've defrosted with hot water in the past when I was in a rush as well...I won't anymore though.

Again...great post...THANKS!!!

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
rallysman;877468; said:
Awesome Del! No wonder she is laying eggs;)

Have you tried to inject that stuff?
yea, its no good on shrimp, i mean i think its only good for things like worms insert the needle in one end and the liquid stays put , with shrimp all it does is just drip out of the shrimp or washes of in the water.

soak is better cause it get absorbed and stays in the meat ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store