FREE TANK!, Makin' canopy, lights, U.G.J.S., stand. FUN!!!

portabuddy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
mississauga
well over the last couple of days i was a bussy boy, late nights at work, yesterday my bro and i began installing a trailer hitch that i got for free, and modifying the truck to accept it(bolth are of equal value.)

Today i expected to continue but i went to a buddy of my brothers to pick up "unwanted junk", he didnt want the tank and any of the stuff that came with it, a total out of hobby sale.

ALL THE FREE STUFF...

1. Stand, crappy LDF partical board, cracked and warped
    -we junked it at the first dupster we found, that was fun
  2. canopy, it was also junk and we tossed it, but i took the light off first.
  3. Tank, its a 73gallon corner tank(i was told 90 bow but whatever.) nice 24" tall one...
    -compleat with pink and blue gravel, pink glass beads shells, one little log and some coral pieces...
  4. 3 boxes of stuff
    - several glass tops, most where albrady broken
    - Filter- a Ehime clasic 2213(tiny thing)
    - 4 powerhoads, one was for the undergravel filter but i junked that, one is smashed and makes for good spai parts, so realy only 3 powerheads, 200gph i think...
    - lots on chemicals, food(enough for about 6months for my guppies= flake, micro pellets)
    - tons of aquaclear 300 stuff but no unit?
    -air lines, tubes and a gravel vac.

well enough jabber here is the tank, less crappy stand gravel and canopy... right now its sitting in the 400gallons spot, and the 120 is on the lower right...

Picture 578_1024x768.jpg

and here it is chock full of stuff..., with some glass tops that is cut down from broken pieces...

Picture 585_1024x768.jpg

portabuddy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
mississauga
this is going in my room, its right above a supporting wall :D an no not on that cabinet, i woldnt even sit on that little thing..., its vust a place to put it for now...

as i was mesuring up wether or not a broken piece of glass can be cut down to fit in another spot... this happened.... O.O

Picture 580_1024x768.jpg

RELAX!!! ITs only one of the cross pieces, ok... two two of the longest sections fell in.... and shattered into alot of smaller ones. the guy we got this from said that hid kids used to slam the lid clased and broke it several times, so there was 2.5 sets for the front and no back section... so i decided to make a back section out of the broken ones.

here is how i cut the remaining usable sections... all but two pieses where broken..., I didnt have any cutting oil so i used a can of penitrating oil/lube, it just as slick and dose the jod of displacing the dust for a clean score.
Picture 581_1024x768.jpg

All oiled up and ready to be cut..., the cutter i have it crap but its the only one i could find at the time i bought it...
Picture 582_1024x768.jpg

Here it is scored and clean... and my Fav way of cracking the glass..., useing the back end of a screwdriver
Picture 583_1024x768.jpg

and giveing it a good stern whack!!!
Picture 584_1024x768.jpg

BOO JAH a clean break... then i get 80grit sand paper and dull the edge, this way i wont cut myself cleaning it...

portabuddy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
mississauga
and out of the shards my bro and i decided to make a handle for the lid, its been replaced so many times that the handle has been lost and needed a new one, many squared where cut sanded and polished to make this look cool... well i think it looks cool...

its stuck together with ge II, i went out and got a tube... i also have epoxies, glues contact adhesives that might work...?

Picture 586_1024x768.jpg

Picture 589_1024x768.jpg

Picture 591_1024x768.jpg

Picture 587_1024x768.jpg

skillzizzo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2007
Mesa - Arizona
Pretty in genus ha. I like it good score free tanks are allways a plus i guess you are pretty crafty after all gave me some good advise and did some good work you'r self. Looks cool the glass handle lot of time and work in to that thow ha could of bought a handle for the time you spent and the ge tube coudn't of you any ways good job i like it you mad it so it's not sharp the glass how do you do that.

You'r friend

Skillzy-izzo

portabuddy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
mississauga
thanks, i also added a lip onto the other glass top to prevent it from fallin in... as for the handle, it took all of 10 min..., all i did was tood one of the scraps that broke ans devided it into cubes, scored it and broke them into cubes, i have allsorts of handels here, glass stainless, aluminum... all from other crafts and projects.

To blunt them down i took a piece of 40grit sand paper and attatched it to a ordital sander ands buzzed each of the 8 corners for about 20sec.s each. then cut the bridge part and buzzed that. then i took 200 grit to get it smoother and did them all again. once that was done i polished them up a bit rith a rag and a bit of oil... windexed them and stuck together with silicone. i had to go to home depot anyway so i picked the silicone up, i thought i had a Tube but meh...

The reason i went there was to get some pl premume contracters adhesive for the flooring of my shed(got some sweet stone-like pergo for near free.) and to check out the prices on the aluminum plastic coated tubes(the blue tubes) for my Under Gravel Jet System. seems a bit steep, would cost around $40-60 for the pipes and fittings and alot more for the fittings made of plastic., i might go with the plastic conduit after all. or synflex plastic tubeing, i could go with some silicone rubber heaterhose tubeing from work?

ever notice how free tanks arnt verry free once you start upgrading and buying stuff for them?

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
wow all that fer free. i woulda sold the lot and bought something with all the money. keep the eheim and when your about to die give/sell it to a museum

portabuddy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
mississauga
amehel0;976243; said:
wow all that fer free. i woulda sold the lot and bought something with all the money. keep the eheim and when your about to die give/sell it to a museum
lol i have the 2217 on my guppy tank, it over kill for a 60 cosidering that there are two filter on it but you can never have enough filtration, hell I'll put it on one of my other tanks and get a good rena and maybe a hob Filter too...

This tank was sitting empty(sortof) for almost two years, he got devorced and emptied it around the same time(memories i guess) and the filter was unplugged and all the stuff was tossed into boxes and bags, the tank came with a locely rotten 3" or water and the filter smelled like a sewer... literly like raw swage, i cleaned it out and soaked everything in a strong solution or amonia, it came with a huge bag of rocky stuff, rings, what looks like it might have neen filter floss(totaly black and slimy...) and easter basket stuffing... everything but the rings got double bagged and tossed, the filter got dismantaled and cleaned. I bought another blue foam pad for my larger 2217 and you get two in a package, well i took the spair and cut it down, and put it in as my first layr, then the rings, then plastic pot 5 scrubbers and the rest of the round ball type filler that i had left over from my 2217(placed in a wased out new hair-net.), then i cut out some new floss and placed it on top... DONE, referbed filter all new and better...

this is my second hand 2213
Picture 594_1024x682.jpg

and my bigger guppy 2217
Picture 112_1024x768.jpg

I juess he felt compelled to give me something since i got him a nice job, i tried to hive him money but he wouldnt take it he saied its crap to him and a burden to move around when he finds a new place, Who doesnt take $100 if its waved at you?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store