MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Did you breed this one too?

Showtimekev

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2021
Did you breed this one too?
Him and his female breed, then the fry hatch and she eats them. I haven’t been able to figure why they eat the babies. This is literally every single time they breed, which is like once a month.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Oh I mean did you produce him yourself? Lol
Him and his female breed, then the fry hatch and she eats them. I haven’t been able to figure why they eat the babies. This is literally every single time they breed, which is like once a month.
Perhaps it's time to start pulling the female once they spawn. I've had males be excellent single fathers but horrible with females that themselves were horrible mothers. They remember eachother, so don't worry about ending pair bonds by pulling a female. They get even more excited and seem to want to breed more after being reintroduced after a being apart for awhile.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
My female did the same. At first she’d eat them, then she would try to collect them in her mouth but squeeze too hard and maim them, now she’s learned and is a great mom.

I let mine keep trying and eventually she got it. The male would chase her around at the beginning but now they coexist and are great parents

Showtimekev

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2021
Oh I mean did you produce him yourself? Lol

Perhaps it's time to start pulling the female once they spawn. I've had males be excellent single fathers but horrible with females that themselves were horrible mothers. They remember eachother, so don't worry about ending pair bonds by pulling a female. They get even more excited and seem to want to breed more after being reintroduced after a being apart for awhile.
Lol oh yeah I line bred him too. He’s a separate blood line tho. I got his parents from “the wet spot tropical fish” up in Oregon. The original female was electric blue/green, with a pink stomach, but the male was more grayish with a bright orange tail. The male killed her because she kept eating the fry. Then he later died because he got stuck in a shell and I didn’t realize it until I didn’t see him “come out to eat” in a couple days :( but luckily they produced a batch of fry that survived which led to gen 2 (Arcoirís) and a few more, one being his mate.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Ah I see. I had wetspot ones awhile ago but had the same result. I am friends with the guy who owns the broodstock for wetspot, and am waiting for more, unless you can breed your guy.

Screenshot_20220707-161517.jpg

Screenshot_20220707-161505.jpg

Screenshot_20220707-161459.jpg

Screenshot_20220707-161451.jpg

Screenshot_20220707-161438.jpg

Reactions: Showtimekev

Showtimekev

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2021
Ah I see. I had wetspot ones awhile ago but had the same result. I am friends with the guy who owns the broodstock for wetspot, and am waiting for more, unless you can breed your guy.

View attachment 1498853

View attachment 1498854

View attachment 1498855

View attachment 1498856

View attachment 1498857
These are beautiful, I’ve seen some of your old posts, it’s great to another another member of the cichlid community doing the same project that I’m trying. So another question: when should I separate them from the mom? Should I separate them now before they’ve hatched? Should I wait until they’re wrigglers? When’s the best time in your opinion?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
These are beautiful, I’ve seen some of your old posts, it’s great to another another member of the cichlid community doing the same project that I’m trying. So another question: when should I separate them from the mom? Should I separate them now before they’ve hatched? Should I wait until they’re wrigglers? When’s the best time in your opinion?
The best time in my opinion is once they hatch. You can let the female raise the wrigglers for a day or two if you want, but ime it is essential for her to at least tend the eggs. From there the male will kinda just hover over the wrigglers, they don't necessarily need the mother at that stage, and without any tank mates any form of communication or herding of the fry isn't essential. Also ime, the fry seem to grow better and are more accustomed to eating what you give them when there is at least one parent showing them what to eat. The mother does not have to be the one to show them. I have two males that regularly raise fry on their own.

Reactions: Showtimekev
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store