“Pink morph” salvini??

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
It's one of the random color morphs, not sure what one.
Like my guy Casper here is a Leucistic Saggitae
20201111_110614.jpg

Basically the 1 in a million fish in the wild. The abnormal coloration makes them stand out more so than normal. But as a tank raised fish the odd color morphs have a better chance to make it to adults.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In any cichlid spawn, there can be a few exotic color morphs.
This is natures way of providing the species a way of survival in case the geography dramatically changes.
If some natural event happens that wipes aquatic plants, or the cover of terrestrial plants such as trees, one or two of the light color individuals could carry on the species, whereas dark individuals might no longer blend in and become easy prey for birds or other preatores.
Take these 3 carpintus in the shot below, they are perfectly camouflaged for their natural habitat.
1608212429609.png
But if some natural event that changed the geography occured, like an earthquake, a storm that wiped out flora, they might become obvious, and one of those alternate colored individuals may be the one that survives and saves the species.
I had a constantly spawning pair of managuense decades ago, and in each spawn there were always a few gold, non spotted individual, and also a few very dark ones.

There is a study I posted a while back that after a dam was built in S America,where even the skeletal structure of the cichlids above the dam changed within a short period to match the chang in habitat.
PDFRapid morphological change in multiple cichlid ecotypes.pdf
Some changes are obvious in rivers where the terrain is slightly different, take the Chuco intermedia below
1608213519649.png
Each are the same species, but from different rivers, not that far a distance from each other.
1608213601793.png
Natural selection always seems to favor, and change with the need of the species to survive.

Last edited:

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Thanks for the educational answers! I’m thinking maybe I should isolate her to breed and see how the babies turn out?
I would, atleast then if ya end up with more pink morphs you could mass multiply them and make em more available in the unique body color. I got to say tho that that salvinni is just beautiful, I still prefer the natural look but even still for a color morph it is very nice and one that I would not mind having either.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
The natural color is better, but I would love to have one of these pink ones. A normal and pink one would make a nice looking pair!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store