08TRDOFFROAD's 45 Gallon Build

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Whoh. I have been lazy on here and look how times have changed! There is stock in there now!

MP10 - we are also a high roller.

So cool to see your own build and you doing all this. Super awesome and exciting, I cant wait to see some more stuff in there and grow out!

Only thing to really comment on is I wish that skimmate was a little darker. At least you are pulling a decent ammount of it by the looks.

08trdoffroad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Utah, USA
I wish it was a bit darker too, I just can't get the HOB skimmer I am using to do it. I have been watching the forums for a Octo 1000ss for a good deal to put in my sump. I have heard and seen good things with those!

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Reefocto, ASM, euroreef are all basically the same. Nice skimmers, but the technology is as old as skimmers get.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I see the pricetag on some of these and I think that you could find an AquaC skimmer that would pull more darker stuff than those for a more reasonable price.

You just have to look around for what suits your needs really though, I really like my EV400 skimmer.

Whatever you do, oversize to the max...the bigger your skimmer the better.

08trdoffroad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Utah, USA
Reefocto, ASM, euroreef are all basically the same. Nice skimmers, but the technology is as old as skimmers get.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I see the pricetag on some of these and I think that you could find an AquaC skimmer that would pull more darker stuff than those for a more reasonable price.

You just have to look around for what suits your needs really though, I really like my EV400 skimmer.

Whatever you do, oversize to the max...the bigger your skimmer the better.
My problem is finding a decent skimmer that would fit in the space I have in my sump...I am definitely open to other alternatives. It will be awhile, if at all before I upgrade the skimmer. I might be moving this whole tank into a 90 g if I decide to sell my frontosa colony.

08trdoffroad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Utah, USA
What can Brown do for me?? They can actually drop off a package when you expect them to, with plenty of time for me to go through the goodies!!! UPS dropped of my package from Rapid LED at about 10 am this morning. I had just enough time to go through and make sure everything I ordered was included before I had to run off to work. Didn't get any time to work on it! Oh well!

Here is the unboxing!

The 2 Color dimming kit.

Partially assembled, minus the wiring/soldering.

The heatsinks with screws and thermal grease.

The Drivers and power cords.

Miscellaneous wire/supplies and led tester.

All 28 led's convienently labled with black 80 degree lenses!

And last but not least, the two led moonlight kit!

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
My problem is finding a decent skimmer that would fit in the space I have in my sump...I am definitely open to other alternatives. It will be awhile, if at all before I upgrade the skimmer. I might be moving this whole tank into a 90 g if I decide to sell my frontosa colony.
Man, I miss my frontosas. What a gorgeous fish. I remember them being brand new in hobby and costing like $280 here in Wisco. I was 12, so it wasnt until much later that I actually GOT my fronts. Now all are gone. :(

Sweet LED's! Im going to do a rapid kit on my 10g planted when I finally get the time/money. Might not happen as long as I am in this reefing game. My planted tank has been "on a budget" since day one. (Not in any way, shape, form, or kind saying that it has been inexpensive haha)

08trdoffroad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Utah, USA
Here are some led build progress pic's from yesterday. (just don't criticize my solder skills, unless you see a cold solder joint I need to fix).

The soldering station I ordered.

It has worked well so far! Hopefully it stays that way!

The moonligths...these were the first ones I tinned so they aren't the prettiest joints!

The rest of the led's.

A close-up!

I had an issue with the faceplate/dc connector on the dimmer kit (the dc connector is broken and doesn't snap securely into the faceplate), so I started working on it to practice my soldering skills, but have stopped because Mike is sending me a new one along with a bit more wire free of charge, rapid has great customer service!!!

There you have it! That is all the progress I have made so far!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store