1,000 gallon aquarium

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
You seem to have a concern for cost, so keep in mind the maintenance cost for such a large tank(heating, water, food, conditioner, meds etc)

GL

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Should've posted that earlier man. If these cats knew you had a PDF, they wouldn've cut you some slack.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Im sorry I was being sarcastic and I feel bad about it..

Look man, nobody is telling you thay you cant have this. Or thay you cant do this. People just want to see you succeed. Nobody gets something like this right on their first try. People are just trying to help you.

Have you seen how big that thing is? This is the big leagues. Serious stuff. This is 10/10 for difficulty.
I've got a sweet sump/display setup. I truly believe it's a world class setup, but that was the culmination of over half a year of planning, building, and fitting pipes. Not to mention 4 years of reasearch and building smaller poorly designed, marginally effective setups, drilling tanks, learning fluid dynamics from trial and error in a hands on environment.

You're doing the right thing seeking help. But There's only so much you can learn from the Internet, the rest you gotta learn hands on. And if you're anything like me - learn by screwing alot of stuff up in the process. Lol

just take it slow. Minor carpentry defects or mistakes can cause a total blowout on a plywood tank. Everyone wants the biggest tank to be the coolest kid on the block... during your meteoric rise to greatness please try something smaller along the way.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
Hi bro,

Hope this helps.

Stocking: The problem i see with the fish you want is that 1. BGK and Leop will get eaten by cichla or aro. 2. Flag tail might kill stingrays.

Advice: i think its best if you research about a particular biotope and work around it. It takes experience to mix and match fish from all over and dump em in a tank. Research on EVERY individual fish you want in there.

Study their temperament, behavior, diet, which area of the water they swim in (bottom top or mid), water parameters etc. if these fishes match well with one another, then go. Lastly, OBSERVE them closely and watch if they are behaving healthy, and accordingly.

NO NEED to buy a separate tank to "grow out" imo. Just have a quarantine tank handy.

Set Up:

I saw your "basis" in the PDF. It was nice. However, note that that was probably done by someone EXPERIENCED in building a tank and carpentry. Its one thing to ask for help here and its another to have someone help you build it.

Things to consider and research on:

1. Filtration: research on the highest level of filtration you could possibly afford. Fish will have tonnes of bioload and you should be ready to cope with it as it increases.

2. water change. Changing water (unless you have depurators) is crucial. Make sure you have access to a water source (maybe a reservior to treat chlorine and chemicals). Also, make sure you have access to a drain as well. I would also suggest that you use a drip system.

3. Circulation. Its not enough that you have a big tank and the best filter media and the like. Water must constantly move from the tank to the filter and you should minimize spots wherein water gets stagnant. Use powerheads or wavemakers if needed but keep in mind that it should also work well with ur fish. 10x turnover is only 5x if half the tank is stagnant and not circulating well.

Gravel and decoration only follows after these and must always be in conjunction with the above mentioned.

Im sure i left out a few spots here in there especially with the build (i dont use plywood tanks) but others can fill it out.

I hope this helps declutter your post and make it more concise.

Research and master this and others should follow naturally.

Lastly, if i said anything that you do not understand, google it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store