1.5 days with the new Motoro

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
Tor-Eriik;5046927; said:
I change 50% every 4 days, plenty for me.. Watch the nitrate readings, thats what you change water for mainly, when they are between 25-50, theres a waterchange that should be done. 50% every day to me seems like alot of stress to the fish and unnessesary work. I have 2x180g with 4 rays in both. 1 is filtered over 2xfx5 and the second over eheim 2080 and 50l background filter.
When my rays came in, they were showing ammonia poisoning stress, and the female didn't make it- I keep a school of tin foils, and 5 datnoids in my tank as well. I run 3 Ac110's and an eheim pro 2 on this tank.

I normally do 50% water changes everyday because I dont want to take any chances with them in a 125. Once they move to the 240 I am not going to do water changes that often.

The rays don't stress in my tank- not sure why they would. They are rather happy when they see me as I am known as "FOOD!!!!!!! :WHOA:"

Freshwater Tim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2009
Surrey,B.C. Canada
I base my water changes on the nitrate readings...when they reach 20 I do a change. I don't do more frequent/larger changes because everything I have read has said that this causes uneccassary stress. As long as the nitrate levels dont go over 20...I am happy. All my other readings are really good so I know my water is clean.

Oh Yeah....I am running two XP3's and an FX5 as well as the Koralia 400

Cant wait for the day that my ray looks at me as food!!! LOL

Freshwater Tim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2009
Surrey,B.C. Canada
Well..all my fish are gone....Just the Datnoid and my ray now. Tank looks soooo empty! I had two large pcs of driftwood in the tank but took one out and then rescaped the tank to have it set up specifically for the ray and still look good. Kept the Tahitian Moon Sand for now....She seems to like this better, as I put some food in and she came out of her hiding spot ,and was going all the way to the other end of the tank. (something I have never seen her do before). exploring and grazing as she went...this is going to work out just fine!

Now she has the whole place to herself with no competition for the food. I really have to adjust my feeding habits tho, as there is no fish left to clean up the leftovers!

Freshwater Tim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2009
Surrey,B.C. Canada
Thanks KNH...I already am!

I have about 25 years of fishkeeping under my belt, both salt and fresh. I made the decision to get a ray about a year ago and I am so glad that I finally have one. She is great to watch (when she comes out)...still pretty shy but coming out more and more with the lights on now. She is eating earthworms, market shrimp, bloodworm, and scallops. She doesn't eat alot at one time so I end up feeding her 2 or three times a day in small quantities. She loves the security she gets from hanging out under a large stump I have in the tank!

Out of all the fish I have ever had...rays are the most entertaining and graceful to watch....second in my mind would be Bichirs. Both have personalities....that are just not....fishlike!

Looking forward to my new little pet getting to know me and play more as she gets more comfortable. I have to stop staying up so late watching the tank tho!!:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store