10-11 inch red pike being an arse

BOOMSHAKER

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2022
Stoke on Trent UK
Hey fishy folks, I’ve had a red pike for a couple on months now. Love him. Amazing fish. He’s always been a bit of a git to the other fish but always left my ray alone. Now he has started to nip her tail. As I really want to keep him, is there any way to stop him doing this. I understand they have a reputation, but could I add other aggressive fish in to keep him occupied? Couple of Oscar’s maybe. He is the tank boss and ideally needs knocking down a peg or two.

Reactions: Simonas

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
What size tank? Could be the pike perceives it as not enough territory.
If it is say under a 300 gal tank, then I'd suggest getting the pike its own 6 ft tank.

Last edited:

EricTheRed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2015
I don’t think an Oscar would mess with your aggressive pike and your Pike would continue to harass the Ray regardless of what other Cichlid you place in your tank. I have a 10 to 11 inch pike that I successfully keep with a half dozen 4 to 6 inch Macaw, Cichlasoma Nicaraguense, cichlids. He has been with them for years and mostly ignores them. The exception is when they get to boisterous with each other around him and he breaks it up by charging them and getting them to scatter (he is the tank boss). My Pike enjoys live food but has never looked at the Macaws as food. May be a one off based on my Pike’s unique personality but Macaws have a reputation for coexisting well with other predatory cichlids, even Dovii.

BOOMSHAKER

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2022
Stoke on Trent UK
I’ve put an Oscar in with him that a lot thicker in size. He did chase him around, but now the Oscar has started to stand up to him. He’s backed down a few times from the Oscar and has left the ray alone for a few days. He’s still a dick but as it stands, I’m thinking of putting a few fish in at once to keep him occupied. Maybe a couple of bass.

EricTheRed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2015
Glad the Oscar is working out, having such a large tank gives you more options than most aquarists have. How big is the Oscar?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store