10 gal stocking?

BigO6687

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2010
banana land
TheCanuck;4444983; said:
They sell hoods at petsmart or online that are plastic. They have slots for 2 bulbs that can added at 25watts each. They are wiked for wattage for a 10 gallon.
k hers is the standard plastic hood that came with the tank brand new

its an all-glass aquarium model, ill check if it has space for more lights

we modded it to fit a penguin 200

we're getting 10 lbs of sand from an lfs tank and some lr (is 10 lbs good?)

BigO6687

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2010
banana land
btw could someone reccomend me a protein skimmer

snyder810

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Ohio
BigO6687;4445067; said:
btw could someone reccomend me a protein skimmer
imo i'd skip the skimmer on such a small tank and just keep up with regular water changes. most small tank skimmers i've come across either put out a ton of microbubbles or just aren't worth the hassel/price anyway

BigO6687

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2010
banana land
snyder810;4445079; said:
imo i'd skip the skimmer on such a small tank and just keep up with regular water changes. most small tank skimmers i've come across either put out a ton of microbubbles or just aren't worth the hassel/price anyway
the tanks not at my house so I can't come do it every week though

snyder810

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Ohio
BigO6687;4445100; said:
the tanks not at my house so I can't come do it every week though
a 10gal stocked the way you've listed is going to need weekly monitoring with or without a skimmer imo

BigO6687

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2010
banana land
thats what i was thinking, what would you recommend i remove?

snyder810

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Ohio
i'd remove the clown and would probably forget corals. waste can build up quick (especially if the young one is doing the feedings n such) also little things like ph and salinity can drop quick in only 10gallons. you may be better served teaching them to care for the tank rather than you doing it every few weeks or so.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Soft corals will be fine. I would recommend PC lighting... find something at www.aquatraders.com that should do fine.

That being said your tank IS overstocked, and I wouldnt recommend keeping a cardinal fish all by its lonesome. I am going to catch some flack for this, but a pair of clowns and some inverts should be fine. I could do it, I know that.

+1 for the skimmer possibly causing micro bubbles. Not cool. A lot of my buddies run over-sized HOB's on their 10g salts. Might be cool to stock it REALLY low (like a tiny goby and inverts) and just do the AC110 mod for filtration. I bet you wouldnt need h2o changes except maybe once a month to restore trace.

monsterberry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2010
uk
the stocking is overstocked but manageble with weekly water changes
i would leave out the cardinal everything else would be fine the clown would be much better in a pair i personaly would leave out the cardinal and 1 other fish and replace them with a pair of clowns clowns i find are much better in pairs all the other stocking would be fine clowns can do realy well in a 10g i would leave out the skimmer and do extra maintanse (daily salinity checks thats what i do on all my nanos picos)

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Clowns don't do "really well" in a 10 gallon. They can live in a cup of water, but many people go to school and become educated with degrees so they can study and do years of research. After all that studying and researching they recommend a 30 gallon. Then some guy thinks because his fish are living in a ten gallon, they do really well..

A baby clown may do good in a 10 gallon as a grow out. Clowns also should not be paired when young, as it screws up their development and stunts them.

Daily salt checks are kind of unnecessary, testing for things that might change and actually harm your animals would be better. Things such as ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store