Bay Area
Price
Region
Northern California
State
California
Pickup or shipping
Pickup only
I'm looking to buy a 10 Gallon Vintage Metaframe aquarium similar to the one in the photo. I came across a hood for one, but no tank (I know, it's usually the other way around). Does anyone in the SF Bay Area have one they are willing to sell?
Dimensions I'm looking for are the 20" x 10" footprint. They made one that was 12" high (10G) and one that was 16" high (13G). Either will work. But it needs to be 20x12 footprint for the hood to fit.
Thanks.
10G Metaframe.png

Reactions: Red Cichlids

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I used to have a 5 foot 100 gallon one until my brother's ex stole it while I was out of state

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
I used to have a 5 foot 100 gallon one until my brother's ex stole it while I was out of state
Dang, that's all bad. That's not something you can just slip into a backpack and walk out with. A 100G Metaframe probably weighs 200+ lbs. The glass they used was crazy thick. And if it was a slate bottom (I think they were 3/4" slate) that would have been a bear to move. Sorry to hear about that. That size is really rare these days.

I'd be interested in other sizes as well, but I really want a 10G to have a complete tank + hood combo.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
As I said i was out of state when I returned she was out of town, very sad situation, the tank was 60 x 16 x 24
This calls for a manhunt. Fish keepers unite. In all seriousness though I’m sorry to hear about that and this is my first time ever seeing a tank like this

Reactions: celebrist

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Yeah, they have a nice retro look now...but they were a real PITA in many ways. Used that horrible black tar-like sealant that dried hard and then leaked. I re-sealed a bunch of them with this new-tangled material called "silicone". :)

For a short transitional period these tanks were made with that cool metal framework, but using silicone to adhere and seal the glass. Those were outstanding, the best of both worlds.

Good luck in your search, that will be a wonderful blast from the past when you find one to match that hood.

• Haha
Reactions: celebrist

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Yeah, they have a nice retro look now...but they were a real PITA in many ways. Used that horrible black tar-like sealant that dried hard and then leaked. I re-sealed a bunch of them with this new-tangled material called "silicone". :)

For a short transitional period these tanks were made with that cool metal framework, but using silicone to adhere and seal the glass. Those were outstanding, the best of both worlds.

Good luck in your search, that will be a wonderful blast from the past when you find one to match that hood.
Haha, yeah, I've heard that tar stuff referred to as asphaltium. I guess they worked with what they had at the time. Silicone is definitely a better sealant.
My first tank was a 20G Metaframe that my mom bought used at a garage sale in 1986, so these tanks have nostalgic value to me.
I recently came across a 26G that was in mint condition (never used) with the original sale sticker still on the front panel. There's a build date of June 1971 on the bottom cross supports. Such a cool find. I'll be setting it up soon and in MFK fashion, stocking it with a school of Pacu and 3 RTC and a 'Pima. ? J/K - I'm planning on doing a school of Rummynose. IMG_20210826_094714140.jpg

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Very nice find. That style with the tapering corner verticals was very avant-garde back in the day. If I recall correctly, they were actuall polished stainless frames rather than plated like most of the others on the market.

And, yes, "asphaltum" sounds familiar. If it were mine...and I wish it were!...i would run a bead of silicone along all the inside seams as a precaution before use. Please post a pic when it's up and running! :thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store