10 gallon salt water

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
Crushed corals IS aragonite - only difference between the 2 types mentioned is the size of the grain. Aragonite is a good PH buffer.
I did not know this. They've always been referred to separately so I just figured they were two different things. So is black aragonite dyed or painted? Or is it just found that way?

dat673

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2009
Washington, DC
The sand just comes like that I have sand from bahamas which I had bought along with dry rock from marcorocks.com. There's a variety of sand you can get. In another tank I have black sand I bought from lfs. A bag is like $4 for a 5lb bag. I would start with a 20 gal to start.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2012
Canada
okay so I didn't real any posts other then yours because im a bit busy at the moment but going with a 10 Gal is fine. take all sponges out of your filtration as the sponge will build up phosphates, use carbon and GFO. now you said you will settle with fish only but you should get at least 5 lbs of live rock to help filter the water as well as a 240-425 gph powerhead. as far as lighting goes use something with a 10k rating or over to reduce the amounts of algae in your tank. oh live sand will also help play a huge roll in filtration. Good Luck :)

puffykid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Don't buy live sand from a bag though, the sand was live before when it was packed but without a food source its a giant bag of nitrates now.

ColeFishing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2012
Ohio
okay so I didn't real any posts other then yours because im a bit busy at the moment but going with a 10 Gal is fine. take all sponges out of your filtration as the sponge will build up phosphates, use carbon and GFO. now you said you will settle with fish only but you should get at least 5 lbs of live rock to help filter the water as well as a 240-425 gph powerhead. as far as lighting goes use something with a 10k rating or over to reduce the amounts of algae in your tank. oh live sand will also help play a huge roll in filtration. Good Luck :)
What's GFO

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
I did not know this. They've always been referred to separately so I just figured they were two different things. So is black aragonite dyed or painted? Or is it just found that way?
Aragonite is calcium carbonate - samething as hard coral's outer skeleton. Aragonite is basically fossilized coral. It comes in all kinds of colors, shapes, and sizes - also it is classed as a mineral. Aragonite "sand" (which I really don't like the reference to a silica based mineral because it's not)
is a fine grain form of crushed fossilized coral harvested from the sea or were the oceans used to be. Places with lots of Volcanic activity like Hawaii and the Solomons are usually the source and harvest point of the Black colored aragonite.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Granulated feric oxide. In othe words rust. Rust eats phosphates.

86 is very hot. I get worried if my tanks reach 80. I keep mine at 76-78
Good call! - my typo bad.

And along the lines of GFO - theres no need to worry about P04 with fish only. TDS is the Algae fuel, PO4 is more or less steriods for flora not a food source. Also someone suggested using carbon, using carbon full time in a marine enviorment isn't advised - even on the packaging instructions! Reason being it sucks all the trace from the the water, use no more than 2 daze a week for coral/invert detoxification. Protien skimmers remove more TDS than carbon does with no harm to the eco-system. More resent studies of fulltime use of carbon in a marine enviorment is showing that fish become more suseptable to head and lateral line errosion from long term exposure. Use with caution for anemones and corals, - fish only - steer clear of it.

gimmiks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2008
oc
try this project its what im working on .[video=youtube;od2X9PJEc7o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od2X9PJEc7o&playnext=1&list=PL129B580C64DB01EE&feature=results_main[/video]

watch the whole thing its called nano lagoon by ipsf

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store