10 gallon saltwater tank

cichlidman1888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2006
Mansfield , Ohio
Is this light good ?? I work at Petsmart soo i could get my discount on in, but my main question is , is it enough wattage and the right bulbs , im pretty sure it is , but u guys know more than i do

cichlidman1888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2006
Mansfield , Ohio
[24" Coralife® Deluxe Series Aqualight Double Linear Strip Fixture and Lamps
Comes with 65W 10,000K and 65W True Actinic 03 Blue straight pin base compact fluorescent lamps

Scuba Oz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2006
Houston
That light would work for soft corals, but I doubt even after your discount you could not get it from Premium Aquatics or Marine Depot cheaper.

That light is a Power Compact light kit. They are okay and durable but you will be limited on the corals you can keep, dont get me wrong, there are plenty of corals to choose from and corals you should start with being new to salt. Zoos, mushrooms would be a good starter and get some good color in the tank for you, just make sure you read up on the coral before you buy it, a lot of LFS will tell you anything to make a sale. Good luck!

i8a224u

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2006
maryland
www.myspace.com
that film is from the lack of a protien skimmer. it will kill everything in the tank if not removed by blocking gas exchange. nano tanks are very hard to maintain so you have to test it every other day and top off evaporation constantly.

TheUnhappiest

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2005
SoCaL 818
I have that exact setup, but I use live sand. I have a damsel, clownfish, some type of anemone, and a shrimp. OH and a bunch of crabs and snails. I also try to do water changes every week.

ogre929

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2005
England
I never put a skimmer on a tank that small, I did water changes on some, and others I added a refugium to it and had a lot of algae in it to take up the proteins. Worked pretty well. But Water changes would be easiest.

Scuba Oz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2006
Houston
The Fission by Current USA is the only small nano type skimmer that has any good reviews and they are inexpensive. In a nano as well as any marine setup, skimming is by far the most important thing, but dont take away the power of a water change, and good flow. Gas exchange will happen with good flow by breaking the water surface by aiming power heads up or towards each other to create turbulant water. Dont be afraid to create flow because the tank is small, remember reguardless of tank size you want no dead spots and 20-30x's turnover an hour!

ogre929

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2005
England
craig said:
Current makes a nano skimmer that can do up 30 gallons.It's called the Fission.It's only six and a half inches tall and two inches in diameter.That Fish Place sells it for $29.99.[/QUOTE]

I see no skimmer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store