100 Gallon Tank Help

steeveooo1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2023
Hey everyone, so i got this tank a while back for free from craigslist. I briefly spoke with the homeowner and she said that the her tenants (the owners of the tank) kept fish but she seemed unsure. I had to redo the silicone seals and i tested it out in the garage holding water for 1 week and there was no leaks. I just completed building my stand and i finally moved it into the living space. My concern is that i might not have water tested it long enough.

I just wanted to confirm/get some of your guys opinions whether this is indeed a tank meant to hold water. I have had my doubts being the glass is pretty thin compared to other newly produced tanks (.22 inches/.55 MM with calipers). I have asked LFS's and they said it is a tank meant to hold water due to the cross brace on top but again i am skeptical due to the thickness of the glass.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is a big step upgrading from a 20 gallon to a 105 gallon. Thank you all in advance !

tank dimensions.jpg

calipers.jpg

tank.jpg

Reactions: Gpdriftwood

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
To me, it looks like a fish tank, not another type of tank. It has a glass brace in the middle, and the edges look good. If you're concerned about the thin glass, maybe get fish that aren't aggressive, like dovii or other big fish that could cause damage to the glass. Maybe get a Blood parrot or some other larger peaceful cichlids. If your taste isn't cichlids, maybe some oddballs from various regions or some schooling fish like silver dollars, barbs, rainbow fish, etc.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Seeing your tank and its dimensions, this is what I would do if I were in your situation.
First about what I see.
- The tank is what is called a nominal 110gallon.
- judging from the frame, it looks like an older tank, perhaps made by Perfecto. If you empty it, clean it and turn it upside down, you may find a label or remaining of it.
- the glass it on the thin side but it may be ok. I would use it in a basement, garage or the like, but not on the living spaces of my house. Also, I would consider not using it completely full, but more like a pálida ruin or sometime like that, where it would not be full to the rim. But it may be ok full.
- the frame has a couple of pieces that have broken off, and the silicone is pitted in varios places. Despite passing your test, I would reseal it anyway, which is easy and cheap assurance. You don’t need to separate the panes of glass or remove the actual silicone gluing the tank; rather, I would remove the external bead of silicone all around, clean it with acetone, and reseal it all around all at the same time.
- It is possible that it does not need resealing but it is not worth the risk.
Again, this is how I would approach it. Hopefully others will offer their own suggestions.
Good luck!

Tigerbarbsandcichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2023
I am no expert or anything and I’m actually kind of new to fish keeping but if it were me and that was my tank I would put a couple of oscars in there some Jack Dempsey, maybe fire mouth cichlids, and some other type of aggressive cichlids for a predator tank. However if you wanted it to be a community fish tank I would love to put lots of pictus catfish, Tiger barbs, Tiger mollies, + an algae eating fish, kuhli loaches, for the centerpiece fish I would so put peacock cichlids in there.

steeveooo1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2023
To me, it looks like a fish tank, not another type of tank. It has a glass brace in the middle, and the edges look good. If you're concerned about the thin glass, maybe get fish that aren't aggressive, like dovii or other big fish that could cause damage to the glass. Maybe get a Blood parrot or some other larger peaceful cichlids. If your taste isn't cichlids, maybe some oddballs from various regions or some schooling fish like silver dollars, barbs, rainbow fish, etc.
Yea so rn my fish in my 20 gallon are a few clown loaches, a NTT datnoid 3 inches, and a avocado pleco. I wanted to add a jardini however im not willing to deal with the possibility of it jumping out and like you said possibly running into the glass and cracking it. I think with clown loaches and datnoid pleco, they are pretty mellow and will do well in a bigger space. Thank you for the feedback regarding the tank being suitable as a "fish tank"

steeveooo1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2023
Seeing your tank and its dimensions, this is what I would do if I were in your situation.
First about what I see.
- The tank is what is called a nominal 110gallon.
- judging from the frame, it looks like an older tank, perhaps made by Perfecto. If you empty it, clean it and turn it upside down, you may find a label or remaining of it.
- the glass it on the thin side but it may be ok. I would use it in a basement, garage or the like, but not on the living spaces of my house. Also, I would consider not using it completely full, but more like a pálida ruin or sometime like that, where it would not be full to the rim. But it may be ok full.
- the frame has a couple of pieces that have broken off, and the silicone is pitted in varios places. Despite passing your test, I would reseal it anyway, which is easy and cheap assurance. You don’t need to separate the panes of glass or remove the actual silicone gluing the tank; rather, I would remove the external bead of silicone all around, clean it with acetone, and reseal it all around all at the same time.
- It is possible that it does not need resealing but it is not worth the risk.
Again, this is how I would approach it. Hopefully others will offer their own suggestions.
Good luck!
I tried looking at every detail of the tank and evening asking previous owners however that led nowhere... Funny story is that the silicone you see now is the parts that i resealed LMFAO. the silicone before looked worse however i still managed to make it look ugly even with taping. So other than the week and half that i tested the tank in the garage, i have now filled the tank up and its holding pretty well(as expected) so far. will update you in the coming week(s). Thank you for your response !

Reactions: Gpdriftwood and FJB

steeveooo1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2023
I am no expert or anything and I’m actually kind of new to fish keeping but if it were me and that was my tank I would put a couple of oscars in there some Jack Dempsey, maybe fire mouth cichlids, and some other type of aggressive cichlids for a predator tank. However if you wanted it to be a community fish tank I would love to put lots of pictus catfish, Tiger barbs, Tiger mollies, + an algae eating fish, kuhli loaches, for the centerpiece fish I would so put peacock cichlids in there.
So i wanted it to be a semi predator tank if that makes sense with a community of 12 clown loaches (all various sizes) 2 NTT datnoids, 1 avo pleco, 1 cactus or sunshine pleco, and if i really am feeling ballsy a arowana (preferably jardini however it is fairly high priced). I was looking into a bichir but i know bichir and plecos dont mix so ill just keep my loaches, datnoids, and plecos tank. I was thinking of tiger barbs to put in as a more cost effective than loaches but we will see. Thanks for your response aswell ! Will post pictures when i introduce the fish to the tank in the coming weeks.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard

Tigerbarbsandcichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2023
Did you say arowana!!?😮😮 I’m sorry but I don’t think a 100 gallon tank is big enough for an arowana let alone in a community tank, I’m sorry I just don’t think one would fit in there with other fish, I think maybe you could an put arowana in there but you would just have to leave the other fish out or it would be to cramped but if you really liked or wanted an arowana you could fit two jardini arowanas in there but nothing else. I would love to see two arowanas in there but jardinis can be hard to find, I can’t wait to see your results.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
So i wanted it to be a semi predator tank if that makes sense with a community of 12 clown loaches (all various sizes) 2 NTT datnoids, 1 avo pleco, 1 cactus or sunshine pleco, and if i really am feeling ballsy a arowana (preferably jardini however it is fairly high priced). I was looking into a bichir but i know bichir and plecos dont mix so ill just keep my loaches, datnoids, and plecos tank. I was thinking of tiger barbs to put in as a more cost effective than loaches but we will see. Thanks for your response aswell ! Will post pictures when i introduce the fish to the tank in the coming weeks.
Most of those fish wouldn't work in a 110-gallon. Definitely no Datnoids and 12 clown loaches (you may be able to get away with 1 or two, but definitely not 12). 1 of those plecos may fit, not 100% certain about that, others more knowledgeable on large pleco keeping can confirm. Arowana would definitely not fit, even a small one like a Jardini.

The only fish mentioned that were suitable were the bichirs (a least one senegal or delhezi, you could probably do more) and the tiger barbs. A big asian themed setup with tiger barbs (or honestly any barb except tinfoil), a red-tailed shark, maybe a few smaller loaches, and a few other asian fish would be cool to see.

Good luck!

Reactions: Caperguy99
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store