108"x30"x42" Aquarium Return Pump Ideas needed

thoop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2022
I was originally looking into external pumps because I was going to put the filter system in my basement while the tank would be on the 1st floor. I have since changed things up and now going with a sump under the tank so my pump requirements have changed up a bit.

I am getting very close to my tank being completed. This is going to be a Tanganyika tank. It will by approx. 600 gallons with a 120 gallon sump. I have overflows that can handle up to 6000gph. I have six 1" returns going in. I need a pump or pumps with a head height of 6'. I was shooting for an 8-10 time turn over rate for the tank because I am sure that overstocking will happen eventually.

An obvious feature is being quite. I would prefer internal pumps. Based on the average internal DC pump I could fit about 3 inside the sump if needed. The other option is external, but I am not familiar with what pumps are a good fit.

Any ideas or recommendations on types of pump or pumps, plumbing ideas that have worked for you would be extremely helpful.

Thank you

Last edited:

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Use powerheads inside your tank. You can have tank turn over twenty times per hour safely and easily and quietly this way.

The flow through the sump only needs to be once an hour, even highly stocked.

thoop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2022
Really? I guess I never thought of what the sump needs to function properly.

Why are there so many sites that say 6-10 times turn over?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Really? I guess I never thought of what the sump needs to function properly.

Why are there so many sites that say 6-10 times turn over?
Because that's how some people like to roll. There's no universal truth to this imo.

If its me, I don't want powerheads in my beautiful 600g tank. They present all sorts of problems imo. More wires in the display tank and spinning blades in a monster tank are anything but safe imo. Same reason I want my heaters out of the tank. For whatever reason I like as few cords and plugs as possible hanging off of my tank...how many more would that be with powerheads vs pumps?

Moreover, with 6x 1" returns and a 6000gph overflow you are already rigged for a high flow sump...why would you barely trickle return flow through 6 returns when you could generate all sorts of dynamic flow effects? You could probably eliminate every dead zone in that big tank with the right nozzles. The jebao pumps on my tanks are not considerably louder than powerheads, especially if you run multiple pumps on low power for efficiency and redundancy. Higher quality pumps are even much quieter.

Anyway, these are my main arguments for pumps over powerheads. If you're gonna have a sump why not use it lol?

thoop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2022
Thank you for your input. This helps a lot and I will be checking out those jebao pumps.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
I've seen mixed reviews in regards to Jebao pumps. They've had lots of issues with their speed controllers over the years. I'd personally go with a higher quality pump.

I'm a big fan of Laguna Pumps. They're quiet, super efficient and reliable. I've been running one on my 770G for 10+ years with no issues. I have about 9' of total system head running a Laguna 4280, so I'm only getting about 2,200 GPH through my sump (turnover of 2.8X/hour). I would prefer more flow, but electricity prices where I live are astronomical so that was a big factor when I was designing my setup in 2012.
Pumping water up 1 full story requires a ton of energy, so I think it's a smart move to abandon that idea, even if electricity rates are relatively low where you live.

I would recommend running two pumps for redundancy (if one fails, the other will likely still keep things flowing).

Below are a few options:
Laguna Max-Flo 2400: 1,664 GPH @ 6' head on 84 watts each (Two of them = 3,328 GPH on 168 total watts)
Laguna Max-Flo 2900: 2,140 GPH @ 6' head on 112 watts each (Two of them = 4,280 GPH on 224 total watts)
Laguna Max-Flo 4280: 2,935 GPH @ 6' head on 160 watts each (Two of them = 5,870 GPH on total 320 watts)

I'd personally go with two 2900's.

Here's a video of my system in case you're interested (it's not the prettiest, but it gets the job done). Admittedly, filter socks are a pain in the butt to clean. I should mention that the intervals between cleanings is likely longer than I mentioned in the video since I've washed them so many times over the years, they are nowhere near filtering 100 microns at this point. With filter socks being such a pain, I can definitely see the appeal of bead filters and I may eventually give them a try.

Source for Laguna Data:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store