10'x6'x3' stingray pond!

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
That pond is going to massive. 60 sq ft of floor space will be awesome for that amount of rays. Best of luck with the build.

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
That pond is going to massive. 60 sq ft of floor space will be awesome for that amount of rays. Best of luck with the build.
Thankyou! I think it would be awesome! I will have to swim in the thing to clean it and stuff hahaha. Just kidding my luck I would get stung in an eye or something! I just wanna know how many rays could I put in this considering the other stock? I just need to know so I don't over do it like I'm sure I would want to! This hobby is just way too addictive!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
8-10 rays should be fine plus your Niger. I think with my 40 sq ft 6 is about my max. A lot of it will depend on the size your rays obtain. As you saw in my tank, some rays get huge lol

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
What are you building the pond out of? I would not recommend acrylic lids, no matter what you do they will bow and sag. Maybe do solid lids with acrylic panels for lights to shine through. I built my lids out of wood that was coated in fiberglass and epoxy paint.

Just my opinion and experience here but build your setup for the rays and rays only, then look at adding additional fish down the road if you would like. Very hard to plan for a happy family right off the bat for one and for two you will quickly run out of space adding rays. Then again I own 13 rays and 6 fish :)

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
8-10 rays should be fine plus your Niger. I think with my 40 sq ft 6 is about my max. A lot of it will depend on the size your rays obtain. As you saw in my tank, some rays get huge lol
Isn't that the truth! I still can't get over how huge mama is! I am so looking forward to this! I want to have a million pups be born too! I just hope all goes well with it! This hobby is over taking my life hahaha. I say that said it were a bad thing! I can't imagine how much it would cost to feed 8-10 rays like your motoro everyday! Oh well sometimes you just have to pay for what you like!

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
What are you building the pond out of? I would not recommend acrylic lids, no matter what you do they will bow and sag. Maybe do solid lids with acrylic panels for lights to shine through. I built my lids out of wood that was coated in fiberglass and epoxy paint.

Just my opinion and experience here but build your setup for the rays and rays only, then look at adding additional fish down the road if you would like. Very hard to plan for a happy family right off the bat for one and for two you will quickly run out of space adding rays. Then again I own 13 rays and 6 fish :)
Wow hahaha! I was going to set the acrylic lids in a wooden frame and there would be four separate lids to try to minimize that. The rays are my top priority so the other fish can wait their turns hahaha, not to sound cold or neglectful but my rays are my top priority.

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
What is the best way to heat this beast of a pond? I am trying to find an inline heater, but I am not exactly sure what it is that I am looking for that will work for the pond. Also how many watts will be needed to heat the 1,100 gallons of water to about 80-85 degrees f?

sam_everist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hertfordshire, UK
Hi Mate, Build sounds nice... I have a 12' x 12' x 3' pond and I use a 3kw Inline pool heater to heat it and it works a treat... just search for pool heaters on ebay :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store