Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
can't wait to see it done :)

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Its been about six weeks since my last update. This video is my 110 g planted SA Cichlid tank with the Finnex Planted Plus light and Current Sat+ on the yellow setting. The finnex runs about 7 or 8 hours a day as the main light source. I'll post a video with the sat+ light only next. New fish pics are coming too.

There's been a growth explosion for the willow leaf and giant hygro. I Just cut the hygro in half and replanted the cutting. It actually reached the top of the tank (28 inches tall!!). The bottom half wasnt getting enough light. The willows are next to be divided, especially since they really need to be spread out more. The Vals are doing well, but not getting enough light because of their proximity to the willows.

As I expected, my fish ate about 80% of the java moss I tied to driftwood and rocks. That made quite a mess. This is the 2nd time I've tried java moss in this tank, so I'm not putting that in again. They've also decided to use my last anubias as a toy and I'll have to tie this up again. I picked up a nice java fern last night at the NJAS meeting and that's going to be zip tied to the large piece of DW.

The pothos roots are doing really, really well, with a large amount of growth. Looks like the mini baskets were a great way to keep the stems from falling into the tank.

Since I've started putting plants into my Baby Damba and Knauerae tank, I'll have to do a thread on their tank as well.

Any tips on the best way to propagate the willows?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DomeEWKQvh0

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Update part 2

Here's a video of my planted SA cichlid tank with just the Current Satellite + LED. I'd consider this fixture a supplemental or accent light to the Finnex planted + fixture. This tank is 28 inches tall and the sat+ fixture is on top of glass canopies with the mounting brackets, so its 30+ inches from the substrate. Prior to adding the Finnex light, there was just enough light to keep the plants alive. Between my fish destroying plants and very low light in the past, its been quite an adventure.

The video is just over 2 minutes long and I've recorded most of the settings from the remote. The settings change every 10 to 15 seconds, some are more noticeable than others. I've learned the best settings for plant growth are yellow in addition to the Finnex light.

The sat+ is on a ramp timer, starts at 7:30am and ramps down around 8pm. Before/after ramp up/down, the Finnex light provides moonlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdswJk5X104&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

felix453

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
new york
So your dosing with ferts but you don't have a Co2 system going right? I was going to get a finnex but was told that without added Co2 i'd have massive algae blooms. Are the ferts taking the place of the Co2 maybe?

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
So your dosing with ferts but you don't have a Co2 system going right? I was going to get a finnex but was told that without added Co2 i'd have massive algae blooms. Are the ferts taking the place of the Co2 maybe?
Yes, I'm dosing with daily pps-pro ferts, micro/macro. No CO2 required as this tank is considered low tech. Because of the height of my tank, selection of plants and the medium range par levels, its not necessary for my needs. I have not had an algae bloom.

Finnex makes several lights for use in planted tanks. Which one are you considering?

What's your setup? Height, gallons, lights, plants, ferts, fish/stock, etc?

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Update part 3
Full and side views, cut and replanted giant hygro, pothos plant and roots still doing well, crazy willow growth, vals are barely visible!
uploadfromtaptalk1395522684500.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1395522703409.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1395522720352.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1395522739327.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1395522767565.jpg

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Just did another semi reorg.... Moved back most of the willow leaf to make room for the addition of my lace plant. Its finally out of its resting phase after taking quite a beating last year in another tank. Brought the Italian and spiral Vals forward so they would get more light. The willows were blocking val growth. Finally added one of the Java ferns to this tank by attaching it to the large driftwood. Attached an anubias to the large DW too. My fish were carrying it around for days.

FTS, I think I pushed the center group of willows too close together, will spread it out at next wc
uploadfromtaptalk1395799375736.jpg
Java Fern & Anubias (I think it is, but can't remember which type?)
uploadfromtaptalk1395799397314.jpg
Lace Plant, right after my male Chanchito had a tasteuploadfromtaptalk1395799690908.jpg. Hopefully they'll leave this alone
uploadfromtaptalk1395799535558.jpg
Nice growth on the vals
uploadfromtaptalk1395799644536.jpg
Let's see if my little finned beasts behave with the new locations!
uploadfromtaptalk1395799690908.jpg

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Your know, I always thought I wouldn't like the look of willow hygro, but seeing it in your tank....I feel like I'm wrong lol

Also, if that lace works for you, that'd be awesome :D
I've had luck with apongeton ulvaces as well, it's worth looking at for a tank your size.

Loving this tank, it's come along so well :D

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Your know, I always thought I wouldn't like the look of willow hygro, but seeing it in your tank....I feel like I'm wrong lol

Also, if that lace works for you, that'd be awesome :D
I've had luck with apongeton ulvaces as well, it's worth looking at for a tank your size.

Loving this tank, it's come along so well :D

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Thanks Chris! I finally have a plant that grows like a weed. I'm really hoping the lace thrives. It has four more tiny new leaves and the fish are leaving it alone for now. Once it has better roots, I'm going to move it to a safer place in the tank. Its in a pretty high traffic area. I really need more plants, just don't have the time to go scouting around. Its still not warm enough for me to confidently order by mail. I don't want frozen plants!!

It took a while for me to see nice growth in the tank. Of course you were right about the lighting and the ferts. So thanks a bunch for all of your help and patience. I'm keeping a list of recommended plants and will add ulvaces. Recently, someone recommended trident. Any experience with this plant?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store