12 yr old wants to breed.

is300soon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2008
san jose ca
So here is the deal, my son 12 wants to breed fish and I am down for it. So the question is which fish would yeild him the best results and be able to sell them with ease local and aqua bid? He can't get a job, he has no time after homework to do lawns for people, we have a ton of people in our neighborhood who have their laws done by pro's. What it boils down to is, he will do all the work on the tanks, he has already traded his rc car for a 55g and stand, he paid for half of his fluval 405, we bought rams already since I see a demand for them in our area, and well to be honest I think they are fun to watch.

Right now we have
75g will be empty
55g long has rams and such
3 10g's for whatever
and I am looking at another 55g Cube

I think with this setup he could do some things, the LFS says they will buy german blues from him but not many and it will be store credit or half cash, which is ok with me, keeps him in the hobby and some pocket change. He wants things that are costly, ipad, ipod, more ps3 games, baseball eqip (sports nut he is) and shoes, shoe freak he is!

So the question is, which breed of fish would work best for his hobby/business? I would like to stay in the dwarf cichlid family, rams, apisto's etc. Guppies won't work even though that is the just add water fish lol.

any ideas? Technical names are great, common names will work also, and pics if you have any so my son can look at this thread and follow it while on Vacation on Texas this week.

Thanks in advance
David

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
I have a 9 yo and she breeds guppies and has bred convicts in smaller tank. But convicts dont give a good return. You have to honestly first see whats in demand locally. If your local fish store doesnt even know about certain species we might suggest its as good as nothing, now if you willing to ship its the best way to go. As selling fry and grow outs with shipping will probably yield the most buyers.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

is300soon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2008
san jose ca
one of our local stores love apistos but they are a 50/50 cash credit etc. I don't mind shipping after i learn the in's and out's of it. I like fish staying at about 3 inches so apistos are nice.

D

GreenMarine

Feeder Fish
Feb 17, 2013
OSU
Guppies!! They are great for beginners, just give them lots of vegetation for the fry to be able to hide as anything in the tank will love them. Baby Kribensis are also great, they breed once they are about 1 inch long and take care of their fry. They do get territorial once eggs are laid and the female will usually stick around to fan them with her fins and protect them

WarrendaFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2009
Massachusetts, U.S.A.
Congrats on having a really ambitious young man. Mu suggestion(s) would be first to put a pair of rams into a ten by themselves. Also look into electric blue rams they sell for around $20 each in my area. Rams don't need much room to breed but are very territorial towards other rams. I would put a pair in each of the 10's and use the 55 as a grow out.
I also agree with the bristlenose or albino bristlenose pleco. Or any smaller species of pleco. As stated above... See what's in demand in your area. Congrats and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store