120g FW Build, A big upgrade from my 10g!

matseski

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
United States
Leak testing is going well, no signs of escaping water from either tank or the plumbing.

One of the silicone seams connecting an acrylic baffle to the glass sump failed separating the K1 section from the drip media (water to air). I will always be doing this in the future, especially on baffles trying to hold back water.

I added a few small pieces of acrylic perpendicular to the piece so that it shouldn't be able to push through again.

I also drilled a few holes in the top of the drip section (top of baffle between drip media and return section) so that air can escape. When I was testing for power outages, I would end up trapping an air pocket between a few inches of water on top and water below and I would get eruptions of water once it finally escaped through the drip tray. Now that air can calmly leave the chamber.

The one unresolved problem I have found is water evaporation rate. I am loosing about 2 gallons per day which means I need to top off the tank every 3 days or so. This will probably be worse during real operation when the water is heated. Normally this is will not be a big deal, but I would like the system to be stable enough that if it is left alone for a week, it will be ok. If I am out of town for more than a week, I can have someone stop by once, or twice, but I dont want to have someone come by every 2-3 days just to dump a bucket of water in. I am toying with the idea of adding an auto top off reservoir, but my available space is limited for a permanent installation, which I would prefer over a system just for vacations. I have the 2 openings that could support a tank of some kind of 8x16" base, and up to 20" in height. The only standard aquarium I can find is a 5 gallon which is not common in local pet stores. I have thus far been unable to find another container that fits the 8" requirement. Any ideas without resorting to building a tank? I would like at least 10 gallons so either 1 16x8x20 container, or 2 5 gallon tanks. I would greatly prefer a taller single tank so I have space for chemicals on the other side.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
really nice looking project, real tight. the upside down pics give me a headache though

matseski

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
United States
My Black Friday plants and Ecocomplete arrived last week. The tank is up and running, so far without any major problems.

Naturally, there are a few things that I am realizing I need to address:

In my 10g, the fish would come to the surface, and by time they were done 30-60s, the remaining food would be pushed down by the HOB filter for the tetra on the bottom. In this tank, the food only sinks if it happens to pass in front of the return nozzles. But since I need to turn the pump off for the food to have any chance of sticking around long enough, this only happens a little at the end of their 15 min feeding window. After a few days, none of the fish are coming to the surface to feed, not sure if they just need to learn that the food is further away, or what. Unfortunately, the NLS "sinking" 0.5mm pellets, very much do not sink without help. Perhaps, they are just too small.

This leads me to problem 2, all of that uneaten food promptly gets sucked down the overflows when the pump turns back on and comes to rest in the refugium chamber of my sump. Currently I just have a few plants in there, but I am thinking I am going to add some shrimp to help cleanup all the leftovers. The chamber is about 15 gallons with a rock cave, and 3 plants. About how many shrimp do I need?

The stock list is currently:
5 black neon tetra
3 neon tetra
2 glowlight tetra
2 lonfinned zebra danio
1 mystery snail
1 nerite snail

Plants:
3 amazon sword
3 water sprite
4 anubias barteri
5 bunches of ludwigia, broad
5 bunches of hornwort
5 bunches of cabomba
3 red crypts
3 banana Plant
3 radican swords
5 spiralis

I also picked up 2 bristlenose pleco and 2 more longfinned zebra danios, which are in my 10g quarantine tank.

[video=vimeo;113842560]https://vimeo.com/113842560[/video]

matseski

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
United States
Just wanted to give an update on how things are going. Besides one missing BN pleco...looked for a few hours per day for a week and could never find any trace of it after being out of town for a week, I have had no problems. Plants and live stock seem to be doing well.

With regard to the feeding issue I was having before where uneaten food was being sucked down to the sump...well, apparently you can train fish. Now, whenever the pump stops all of the fish go to the surface and start trying to eat the little bubbles until the food is dispersed a minute later. After the 15 min feeding, there is no food left.

Current stock:
2 BN plecos
9 neon tetra
5 black neon tetra
2 angelfish
7 zebra danio
2 glowlight tetra
3 mystery snail
1 nerite snail
lots of small snails

As a reminder, this is a low tech tank. The lighting is 4x56W T5HO, 7 hrs/day. So far, I have not had any algae blooms or other problems. It is fertilized every 2 weeks with macros and micros (about 1/10th of EI dosing) and has osmocote root tabs. I have done 2 15% water changes since setting it up in November. Nitrates are fairly stable around 15-20ppm (tested weekly). Temperature is 76deg.

I am adopting 6 sunset platies, 6 fancy guppies, an albino BN pleco, and 2 otos tonight, so they will be added in a week or 2.

IMG_0190.JPG

IMG_0190.JPG

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Hope you are super happy with it because it looks fantastic!

I love the movements of the plants in the current

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store